Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I just put on new rotors and ceramic pads myself for the first time today! yay! But once I tightened everything back up and did a road test, I'm no longer happy. The brakes, when almost stopped (low speeds), will shudder/grind to a stop. Its very unnerving because the mirrors shake and everything.

Is this normal for new pads and rotors? I cleaned everything with brake cleaner, all the padsare in the correct spots and I pumped the brakes before I drove it. I looked at the brake fluid level and it seems to be a tad low (maybe 1/2" or so). Could this be the problem? Or did I just massively mess something up? :confused:

Any help is appreciated!

btw, I am using ceramic pads with slotted rotors from r1concepts(all brand new).

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Sounds like your fluid is within spec.
Is it a loud grinding sound?

I never worked with slotted rotors but it sounds to me like the brakes just need to break in. You may be feeling the pads just running through the slots as you come to a stop. I've read about users saying they make a weird sound when braking at low speeds.

If nothing seems out of the ordinary then I would recommend driving a little bit and get the pads and rotors to seat with each other and fully brake in. As long as there is obviously nothing negative, like you can see something grinding or etching into the rotor.

I'm assuming when your at speed and you apply the brakes they work and sound just fine, only once u get to a stop it makes the noise, which makes me lean towards them just needing to be broken in.

Hopefully someone with slotted rotors can chime in and give more info.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
good call on the breaking in. After driving around for a bit and doing some moderate 30-5 stops and 60-30 stops, the shuddering has gone away! The pedal feels a bit mushier than normal so ill have to keep an eye on that (maybe top off the brake fluid?). But so far so good! Thanks!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok is that as simple as opening the bleeder valve on each caliper and depressing the pedal until only straight fluid comes out?

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Bleeding is fairly easy, You can even do it with a small vacuum pump.

It is possible you still have some break in room to go. I did my brakes and they felt a little mushy until the pads fully seated. You can tell by looking at the rotors, Especially the rears, The pads contacted towards the edges but not towards the center of the rotor. That little bit of space multiplied by all the pads on all the wheels can give you that little bit of a mushy feeling.

But bleeding the brakes and adding new fluid is never a bad idea.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts