Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Ditto the above.
Also, avoid cleaners which may be scented, heavy perfume/cologne/aftershaves.

As for restoration after it goes, there are scents whcih purport to be "new car" smells you can use. Can't vouch for them though.

·
Registered
77 Posts
hahaha....just don't drive it. LOL Might not be the best solution but it 100% fool proof!

No..just kidding...

I have two kids...always have the windows open....still smells pretty good though...definatley DONT smoke in it. Did that with my other car, it kills the interior.

·
Registered
23 Posts
You can probably find one of those "New Car Smell" air fresheners that are supposed to smell like the interior of a new car. Don't know how true that is. Local auto stores have them.

·
Registered
210 Posts
scsgoal31 said:
I know how NOT to keep the new car smell.

Have a friend that you JUST picked up from a bar, 5 minutes from your apartment, puke all over the passenger dash and door before getting the door open to finish it on the street.

:mad:
I would be so mad but that was good of you to take him home though

·
Registered
73 Posts
And don't volunteer to take your new car on a road trip with three other guys to a college football game :)

Feeling like a geek, I had golf towels in each seat when the guys got in, and told them what they were for. After morning #1, new car smell was still there. After morning #2, new car smell was long gone - or simply masked by three large beer spills. Cleaned them up when we got back, and everything was fine.

Oh, and the towels I so thoughtfully laid out for my buddies. NEVER used.

·
Registered
114 Posts
buy a bunch of new plastics and fabrics and put them under your seats ;)

while that might work, i believe once it's gone, it's gone, hence why it's called the "new car" smell...

·
Registered
124 Posts
Vita said:
[...] i believe once it's gone, it's gone, hence why it's called the "new car" smell...
I will second that. Whatever the auto supply stores sell that claims to give off that "new car smell" is anything but. Something in the car's insulation has a great deal to do with the car's ability to retain that odor. My 1959 Buick STILL has that smell every time we get in. We don't smoke or eat in her either, FYI. ;)

·
Banned
44 Posts
Yep, it's caused by the glues and adhesives used in construting the dash. I like the smell but I'd rather not be exposed to it for extended periods.

One of the things that can be used is new mats from a new car. Some of that new car smell is new carpet.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts