Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Opal 2009 G6 GT Convertible 3.9L V6
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New G6er here. As for my first car, I was given a 2009 Pontiac G6 GT Convertible with a 3.9L V6. Everything is stock. A few of my buddies have suggested modifying my G6 internally/externally while I was also told to keep it the way it is for the sake of originality. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
Hello and welcome, there is a number of very knowledgeable members on this site. My writing skills are limited by Parkinson's disease. However i will try to make sense of my ramblings before sending a message.

1. You have been given a wonderful gift. If you look after the car you should not encounter many problems and enjoy the wonderful attributes of a top down car.
2. If it was my car i would leave it original. However it is your car.
If you read enough if the threads on this site you will find that there is little to gain in terms of power. Some limited hp may be gained by putting a larger exhaust pipe on the car. (Look for information on using the exhaust system from a 2 door coupe) 1of4885 has some valuable information on this.
3. Although you have been given the car, it has the potential of costing you a large amount of money. I really don't mean to scare you but the reality is they don't make these cars anymore and many of the roof parts are very difficult to find of not impossible. You have many reasons to keep it original, last one is to keep your money for the roof parts you may need at some point. If you don't use the money for parts or modifications. spend it on gas and enjoy your car. It is great fun.
Convertme
(We have enjoyed the dark blue car since 2009.)

·
Registered
266 Posts
As Convertme says. These are really unique and beautiful cars and the '09 was the last year. If your car was stored during the NJ winters and well maintained, it should give you good service. Back when these cars were young and had dealer and manufacturer support, they were reliable and life was good. But, those days are gone and aside from basic mechanical parts that are still available for the G6 and shared GM models, keeping the retractables working is challenge that will only increase with time. Good luck and your ownership and take care. - Mark

·
Registered
106 Posts
Nice car . I'm not into mods , both interior or external or performance . I would put any money into regular maintenance as these body style cars are fast disappearing from the American highways . Cars such as yours are very much in want and from what I see it's a keeper . I would refrain from using that retractable top though .

·
Registered
89 Posts
As Convertme says. These are really unique and beautiful cars and the '09 was the last year. If your car was stored during the NJ winters and well maintained, it should give you good service. Back when these cars were young and had dealer and manufacturer support, they were reliable and life was good. But, those days are gone and aside from basic mechanical parts that are still available for the G6 and shared GM models, keeping the retractables working is challenge that will only increase with time. Good luck and your ownership and take care. - Mark
There was a revised 2009.5 production run after the 2009 model, different body molding etc.
I have one.

Attachments

·
Registered
266 Posts
After thinking a bit your car would be rare if you add the 2009.5 front bumper cover . (y)
Been looking for one for several years. Few 2009.5 or 2010 G6's show up in the "pull'n-save" yards near me and nearly 100% are front end wrecks. I'll keep looking, though. - Mark

·
Registered
89 Posts
On the 2009.5's the lower body molding below the door, painted mirrors, rear and front bumpers are different. I had to create mudflaps the fit the wheel well curves as the 2009 and earlier do not fit.

·
Registered
266 Posts
The ad says it's a 2010 and they all got the right fascia from the factory. But, I've seen people swap older ones on if the original is damaged . You still want one from a GT for the fog lights. You can add them later but they're scarce.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Gotcha, it certainly looks great! I'll just have to be on the look out for one. Doubt i'll ever see one though. Is there any other big differences in the 2009.5 year besides that and what looks to be painted mirrors?

Also, completely unrelated, but you know that black plastic that attaches to the bottom of the front bumper cover that directs air where it needs to go? What is that called and is there any easy way to get ahold of replacements? just junkyard I assume? Long story short, mine is completely destroyed, and i'm debating on just unbuttoning them all and taking the broken fragments and tossing them and leaving it alone, or finding an intact one and replacing it. Is there any main reason to keep it?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts