Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,I'm a 16 year old guy looking for my first car. I have looked at a couple G6 models and decided that I really want one and I wanted your guys opinions. The one I'm looking at is a 2008 base model with the 2.4L ECOTEC. It has only 58K and they are only asking $5997. Sounds like a great deal to me. Has a clean CARFAX and only 2 previous owners. Is this a good first car and is the 2.4 a good motor? Thanks!!

·
Registered
190 Posts
I mean no offense by this, but for a 16 year old, a 2.4L in line 4 will be plenty for you. Your insurance will be cheaper and you won't get yourself in as much trouble in bad weather conditions with the smaller motor. It sounds like a good price and the miles aren't that bad.

None of the motor choices with this car are in any way "powerful" and to get any of these motors to hang with faster cars, you wouldn't have the money for it at 16. Because if you did, you wouldn't be looking at a used Pontiac! on top of all that, you don't need any major power at 16. I'm sure there will be those guys that will say, "I handled xxxHP just fine at 16", but more than being able to handle power, is the experience that needs to be learned and built up. Again, I'm not saying that the V6 in these cars are to much for you to handle, but I think you're doing some smart thinking looking at the I4 at your age.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Like becksmerc said, if you want to do a lot of performance modding, look for a v6. But if you don't want to mod, or want to do mainly cosmetic mods, go with the 4banger.
gotzag6 said it perfectly, cheaper on gas, and all around price. Plus, it still has some power, not what the v6 has, but it will be safer in more severe weather.
Keep us updated with your decision.
Oh, and welcome to G6OC.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
I've got the 4 banger, My insurance for full coverage is still a good price. And even tho. You can get 200HP out of the 4 cyl easily.

I just added an intake and got it tuned. It's much more tolerable in traffic now and can stand up heavy fast paced traffic.

And on a good week I can average up to 27 mpg easily...mixed driving

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Thanks becksmerc! I definitely spent a lot of time researching and learning about my motor. What's funny is you can't really find anything for this motor. Unless you look for the Cobalt SS 2.4 N/A haha. But my WAMS tune is true G6 support. And that with a CAI is great!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Love my 2.4.

Sent from my ADR6300 using AutoGuide App

·
Autobot Mechanic Lycan
125 Posts
im 16 and drive a 05 used g6 gt. i love it. but looking at crusing6's car it shows that you can mod it enough so that it doesnt look basic like the stock 4 cylinder. so dont worry about the looks. as far as the engine, the 4 cylinder is better on gas, the v6 is better....street cred? idk. i love the sound and quickness of it though. its up to you ultimately.

50 Posts
I would personally go with the 2.4 also. My first car was my current gt coupe but I got into alot of trouble right away. I am 17 years old and currently have probation because of my leadfoot. Go with the smaller engine and you'll be happy! I mean who wouldn't be happy with a 6!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Think of it this way, the 2.4 was offered in the Cobalt SS models. AND it's the same motor that was offered with a supercharger on some Cobalt models.

According to their website ZZP has one of these motors pushing about 400HP. granted thats after a crap ton of money.

But I'd say as a starter car the 4 cyl is the way to go. Much better on gas.

If your like me, you love to drive, therefore you love to burn gas. Why not get a car that has a higher average, haha

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
I'm pretty sure the 2.0 is the turbo, But u know I may be mistaken. I haven't done much research into other cobalt motors. it very well could be a 2.0 TC and/or SC.

Anyways I know there are bolt on turbo and supercharger kits for the 2.4

·
CrAzY Moderator
963 Posts
welcome to the forum

1 - 17 of 17 Posts