Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all I just purchased a 2006 g6 gt with 106000 miles on it for a commuter car,it runs really well but when you are driving down the road at around 60 mph and go into a turn to the left it jumps after you start turning the wheel,it also pulls the same way when you brake but for just a second and then it brakes perfectly straight.I know about all the steering issues with these cars and mine also has the pop in the steering,but it is not the shaft it is coming from the electric box itself.I am a diesel mechanic so i have some good knowledge of mechanical stuff but nothing on cars.I have looked it over and everything seems tight and in good shape,it has new rack and pinyon,tie rods and front struts.sorry for the long post but i was hoping some of you g6 pros could help me out mainly with the pulling and jumping to the left issue

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just put on new michlins and had it alighned,the struts are brand new and look all tight,is what it does is when u start turning at highway speeds it veers on its own farther than u are trying to steer it,I'm wondering what u guys thing about it being the electric steering box trying to steer itself,has anyone ever unplugged the unit and drove it that way to diagnose issues with it?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I tried unhooking the eps fuse and drove it and it still does the same thing so that rules that out(bastard is hard a fu&@ to steer by the way)lol,must be something I overlooked loose down below,the wheel bearing is almost what it feels like but they seemed tight also but I will recheck it all tomorrow

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Soi found the issue,it was a bad ball joint(really bad ball joint) don't know how they missed it during alignment

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just changed out the control arms and if anyone is scared to try don't be,I did both sides in under a hour and it drives so nice now

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Changes to what,this is a 2006 I'm sure it's no different than anybody else's g6 with the 3.5, you simply unbolt the motor mount and pry up on it while you pull the bolt out,no need to jack up motor,took about 5 min a side for each bolt:D

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just put on new michlins and had it alighned,the struts are brand new and look all tight,is what it does is when u start turning at highway speeds it veers on its own farther than u are trying to steer it,I'm wondering what u guys thing about it being the electric steering box trying to steer itself,has anyone ever unplugged the unit and drove it that way to diagnose issues with it?
I got a 2006 v6 and it steers really easy and I have a 2009 I been driving a couple years and steers completely different, it's a 4 cylinder and drives great just steers totally different, I cant decide which one to keep, the 06 needs rocker panels changed but it drives perfect and has twice the power, but I ordered a kit to fix the rocker panels and they are just thin aluminum panels not even shaped the same, what do you think I should keep?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts