Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm from London Ontario Canada and will be picking up my electric blue gtp coupe on Feb 28th. My previous vehicles were a 1992 chev lumina z34 and a 2003 Tiburon GT. I'm quite excited about my new car but have some concerns after reading these forums.

Should I be worried about the CD changer, the 6 spd transmission, the windows indexing, flimsy vanity mirrors, starter problems or anything else that I can't remember right now? Basically what problems can I expect my specific model to have? Is there anyway to check if they are corrected upon pickup? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ryan.

·
Designed For Action
509 Posts
Glytch said:
Hey guys,

I'm from London Ontario Canada and will be picking up my electric blue gtp coupe on Feb 28th. My previous vehicles were a 1992 chev lumina z34 and a 2003 Tiburon GT. I'm quite excited about my new car but have some concerns after reading these forums.

Should I be worried about the CD changer, the 6 spd transmission, the windows indexing, flimsy vanity mirrors, starter problems or anything else that I can't remember right now? Basically what problems can I expect my specific model to have? Is there anyway to check if they are corrected upon pickup? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ryan.
You should not be worried, but be wary of the issues that you mentioned. When pick up the car, go over the items you are concerned about with the saleperson. See if the salesperson is willing to take a short test drive with you. Drive with the radio off and listen to the car. Also, bring a CD to test out the CD changer. I hope this is helpful to you. :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
As far as I know, I don't have any complaint except for the shifter. Test the shifter, if i'ts smooth, go ahead. If you find it hard to shift, than there could be a cable liknkage jam as I got. If gears don't shift well on 2,3 4, don't accpet that pasticuliar car, get them to test drive an other one.

If the tranny problem settles in a near future, the I will give my 100% approval for the car.

By the way. Expect a lot of people to turn their head arond and ask question in parking lots. The are not much Coupe around and people like the looks.

Also, there are NO snow tires yet available. The car still does a good job on snow and ice, but take care. I recommend to disable the Traction Control for a few seconds when starting on very slippery road. Just press the button and it will re-settle back immediately.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Out curiousity about the window indexing, what if you left it down like a centimeter or something really small, so less area is in contact with the strip and prevent it from freezing to it? Might not be the best on a windy snowy day though. :confused:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
GTPGuy82 said:
Make sure the car is warmed up with the heater blasting at the windows so they don't freeze and you can't close the door.
How exactly do you do this if you are just getting to your car in the morning, and don't have a remote starter?

·
Registered
488 Posts
Glytch said:
How exactly do you do this if you are just getting to your car in the morning, and don't have a remote starter?
The remote starter is a $125 option for the G6, how can you NOT get it?

As for leaving the windows down slightly, then they won't index at all. So if you leave it down just enough so that you can open and close the door without interference, that'd work.

·
Registered
199 Posts
GTPGuy82 said:
The remote starter is a $125 option for the G6, how can you NOT get it?

As for leaving the windows down slightly, then they won't index at all. So if you leave it down just enough so that you can open and close the door without interference, that'd work.
From what ive read, you can't get the remote start with the 6 speed because you have to park it in reverse, which is retarded.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I own a 6 speeder and it's impossible to connect a remote starter. The transmission has to be in reverse so too get he key out.

·
Registered
39 Posts
vette79 said:
I own a 6 speeder and it's impossible to connect a remote starter. The transmission has to be in reverse so too get he key out.
According to GM this is a 'safety feature.' It's a little annoying, but you get used to it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've heard horror stories about 6 speed remote starts.....they have to disable the function that makes you physically push the clutch in when you start the car.

Imagine this...somebody borrows your car...brings it back, parks it and leaves it in first. Next morning...you push the hold remote start...and sit back as your car lurches into the front of your house........

Hence why they no longer disable the safety feature that makes you actually push the clutch to the floor to start the car. I've heard of this happening....read about a similar incident on another site.

SBM

1 - 17 of 17 Posts