Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New guy checking out your forum. Thinking about getting one for my 16 year old daughter and figured I would research first before I buy. Anything I need to watch for on these vehicles while looking or suggestions on which engine is better and problems that people have experienced would be very helpful.
Thanks Sammy Hughes

·
Registered
290 Posts
IMO it's a great car. The only huge thing I have noticed that everyone has experienced is the oil filter adapter gasket. Kinda a pain but not too bad. And cheap fix.

·
Decepticon Extraordinaire
5,351 Posts
I think the 2005-2006 3.5 has the least issues followed by the 3.5 in 07+ cars.
Next would be the 3.6.

I would steer clear of the 2.4 liter or the 3.9 liter.

·
G6 GXP
50 Posts
Welcome to the forum dude!

Based on my own reading and browsing, the 3.6L appears the most reliable, followed closely by the 3.5L. The 2.4L I4 and the 3.9L seem to be where the troubles arise. Being a power hog with an efficiency streak, I always steer clear of naturally aspirated (non-turbo) 4 cylinder engines, and have a mistrust for high-displacement V6s like the 3.9L.

Personally, I think the 3.6L engine gives you the most bang for your buck, being a dual-overhead cam design rather than a pushrod design. It's a more modern, energy efficient valvetrain configuration that allows for higher performance and better fuel economy (depending on other factors, of course). I just got myself a 2008 G6 GXP with that particular engine, and I really like it. Lot of power and pickup, great passing power in all speed regimes, and runs very smooth.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Welcome!

I agree with Lampoon, havent had any problems with my 06 G6 GT Coupe 3.5L. Very great car! And this is my first car and I love it

·
Registered
447 Posts
05-06 3.5Ls are boss like Lampoon said, best fuel mileage for the G6, plus the 4 speed trans in it are pretty sturdy... the 6 speed trans in the GXP has some quirks

·
Registered
295 Posts
Hey Sammy,

Welcome to the forum! If you need any assistance with finding your desired vehicle for your daughter, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us! We will be glad to help!

Kristen A.
GM Customer Care

1 - 7 of 7 Posts