Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

New guy from Milwaukee, WI here. Haven't pulled the trigger yet but almost did. I'm preapproved and all so its just a matter of finding the right car. I'm also trying to save a little more for the down payment so if I buy one in the next few weeks it would be for the simple fact its the perfect car/deal.

Ideally I'm looking for black (yes, I know lol) or white. I'd consider Blue as well. 4 door, v6 that is 2007 or newer.

I'm actually heading out up to my dads place on Wednesday because we are going to hit up a couple dealership just to see whats out there.

Any tips for a soon to be G6 owner?

Thanks!

·
Lifetime Member
3,269 Posts
Welcome.
yes, be picky and get a car fax, and when they want you to test drive it, get a car fax, while asking about the prices get a car fax and just before you look under the hood, get a car fax.
Go to the dealership with a kelly's blue book print out of a "base" G6 V6 and a "GT" G6 in good shape. Oh, and get the car fax!

·
Registered
208 Posts
I believe the 2008 was the first year of the aux input in the stereo. Not sure if that is important to you or not. Also, there have been alot of issues on here with the 6 cd changer. So I would go with the single cd stereo. Also, the panoramic sunroof has had leak problems reported on here. So the single pane sunroof or none at all would be better. Personally, I wish I would have gotten one with the rear spoiler. 2009.5 has a cool front end and different rear spoiler then the rest, but the fog lights are halogen housing, and not projectors like the older models. 2008 or 2009 GTP is what I feel is pretty much the best package. Then again, that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys.

I'll definitely be asking for a car fax on the car no matter what.

I didn't know about the issues with the panoramic sun roof or the 6 disc changer. So if there are any other items like that to avoid, please let me know.

I'm trying to keep this as a semi economical car as well so I think I'm going to try to stay with the GT level trim. The only draw to a GTP would have been if they still had the supercharged motor. It used to be so easy to get some really good power out of those things. Two of my friends had the car and I helped them with a lot of the work on both cars. When I heard the GXP came in a 6 speed all i could think about was a supercharged motor with a manual trans. But... no dice.

So I think I"m just going to look for a 2007 or newer GT with out the panoramic sun roof or 6 disc changer. The ipod interface is something I can figure out later if need be. I do have an iPhone 4 so it would be nice to find an 08 or newer. But I wouldn't not buy a car just because it didn't have that. I'm kind of a fan of aftermarket steroes anyway, so I can't say it would be a game changing event.

Thanks for the tips guys.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Welcome!

if your considering aftermarket stereo, id suggest a 2009.5 model. the DIC for them is in the dash instead of the radio, so you dont have to worry about losing the DIC or having to spend and extra $200 or so to keep it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not to worried about losing the DIC if I replace the stereo for the simple fact I have an ultra gauge laying around that does the same functions and much, much more.

Thanks for the suggestion though, I do appreciate making me think about it!:beer:

·
Registered
49 Posts
the only gtp that had a supercharger on it was a GRAND PRIX WITH A 3.8! and the gxp never came with a manual!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why is it there is always someone on a forum that insists on correcting every last thing.

First... I said "been". Thus mean I know the supercharged motor never made it to the G6 and died with the Grand Prix line.

Second... Sorry for the typo on the GTP/GXP manual transmission comment. I was looking at an ad for a GXP right before I typed that post. Thus I had GXP on the brain.

Seriously dude, your post was basically pointless minus stirring up negativity.

Third... sorry to everyone else for getting snippy with this dude.

·
Registered
49 Posts
sorry i was just stating the facts!!! sorry for the trouble!

I'M NOT A DUDE THOUGH I'M A GIRL!!!

GOOD LUCK WITH FINDING YOUR PERFECT CAR AND WELCOME!

·
Registered
911 Posts
welcome...i think she was just helping you straighten it out seeing as how you were new to the 6 scene...some members here have the vert and i wished i had known about it before buying my sedan, so if a convertible is to your liking check that out too- its hardtop!

·
Registered
49 Posts
welcome...i think she was just helping you straighten it out seeing as how you were new to the 6 scene...some members here have the vert and i wished i had known about it before buying my sedan, so if a convertible is to your liking check that out too- its hardtop!
yes i was only trying to help.... sorry that you thought i was being a jerk!

·
Banned
240 Posts
09.5 for sure

I bought a 08 and I always loved the G6 from the get go (get a 09.5 for the design).. I dunno about where u live but around Detroit G6's are like how do I say this .. EVERY FREAKIN WHERE and it spazzed me out .. and then The G6's forums began.. then the wallet became thin and the obsession begins.. and to tell ya the truth .. outright insanity.. so I am warning u before u buy this u to will become a addict.. really this site then becomes ur second obsession or is it the other way around?....hmmmmmm anyways .. You have been warned.. and trust me WE WILL BE RIGHT HERE TO ENABLE U EVERY STEP OF THE WAY LoL..

·
MonsterG6
386 Posts
welcome and damn you g6owners, now i have all sorts of ideas for my car and was content the way it was...now im spending 1500 on rims and just got my halo headlights haha

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I realize its impossible to tell over the net but I'm not new to cars. lol

This will be my 17th car to date. I have everythign from buicks to mustangs. Time to be a little more responsible with my purchase yet retain something that I like the look of and can have a little fun with.

I really do like the convertibles and do realize its a hard top, I just have an issue with the lack of space in the trunk! lol I would still consider it if the price was right and it was the right car, but a four door is still my overall preference. I can't wait to bring one home, but I'm still wanting to save some pennies before I pull the trigger to pull my monthly payment down just a smidge more.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Today I went up to the local pontiac dealer to take a peek at a few. I have definitely eliminated the convertible from my possibility list. That trunk is meager to begin with and its totally lost anytime you want to put that top down. If I had a nice truck or suv to compliment it - I would be all over it. Though I will be keeping my Jeep, its just not enough to make me consider the vert.

Today was my first time driving a G6 and I have to say I really do like it. I really could tell it was a drive by wire setup though. Nothing bad, it was just different. Something to adjust to I guess you could say. At first I didn't like the fact that you could tell there was some programming into that throttle that when you touch it it doesn't jerk on the throttle body like some newer cable operated setups tend to work. That touchy, jerky feel. But the more I drove it in stop and go traffic I have to say I really began to like it.

Smooth car over all. Now if I can just find a GT without a cloth interior and a sunroof, hopefully in black - I'd be one happy guy.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Well I bought a car!

But it isn't a G6! lol Stayed in the Pontiac family though! I got a killer deal on a nice Grand Am GT with a blown motor. Picked up a motor with 25k miles on it (3500 from a G6 actually!) that will be dropped in there over the next few weeks!

If anyone needs some coil packs or a throttle body, I have them for sale! They would be for an 05 and 06 only! No VVT! (at least I dont think it would work, you can check and figure it out on your own if you wish - just dont ask me! lol)

email me at fishin80 @ gmail.com No spaces obviously!

·
Moderator Member Thingy
1,330 Posts
Well I bought a car!

But it isn't a G6! lol Stayed in the Pontiac family though! I got a killer deal on a nice Grand Am GT with a blown motor. Picked up a motor with 25k miles on it (3500 from a G6 actually!) that will be dropped in there over the next few weeks!

If anyone needs some coil packs or a throttle body, I have them for sale! They would be for an 05 and 06 only! No VVT! (at least I dont think it would work, you can check and figure it out on your own if you wish - just dont ask me! lol)

email me at fishin80 @ gmail.com No spaces obviously!
You'll have more luck over in the "For Sale" section. Putting the items on eBay will help too. While I don't think anyone is in need for those parts now, someone might need them eventually.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts