Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered new high performance brake rotors and cermic pads from j.c. whitney. Im tired of the rumbling every time i hit the brakes,Gm stock rotors are terrible.I have 30k on the stock brakes which have been rumbling for 10k or so.I will keep you posted on how much better they are when i put them on.
Take care Pete

·
Registered
216 Posts
Thanks. I'd beinterested on how well they perform and how well they last over the miles, so please post updates once in a while. I'm expecting one of the first failures I'm going to have with my GTP is going to be the brake rotors from what I've read from other posts.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Brake Rotor Vibration

Yep, my brake rotors vibrate terribly at just over 22,000 miles on my 2005 G6 V6 Sedan with anti-lock.

Very dissapointed in the wear on these parts.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi everyone,

Hold on...we are just going to say "oh well, the quality sucks - I'll just go buy new brake pads and rotors?"

F*&ck that! GM should be subsidizing the replacement.

·
Registered
216 Posts
GM will probably be glad to replace your old, crappy OEM rotors with another set of new, crappy OEM rotors. Maybe getcha past the 36000 mile warranty expiration, and what then? Better to just upgrade.
Funny, when I read Road & Track and other car mags long-term tests, they calculate the % brake pad left after putting 40K miles on the test car. On quality cars, fronts are usually calculated for about 60K miles, and rears at or over 100K miles. Not the rotors, mind you, the PADS. A decent rotor should be able to be turned at least twice before it is too thin and for safety reasons should be replaced. If someone tells you your rotors can't be turned at least twice, they are trying to screw you into buying new rotors when they aren't needed.
Anyone have their rotors turned with or without new pads? Did it fix the problem?

·
Registered
113 Posts
No not true, some rotors can't be turned twice in new condition. It all just depends you might get twice out of them, but if it will put them too close to that max point then they won't do it. On these you could probably get 2 out of, but there are some that you can only get 1 some 3.

Just wear the crap out of the stock rotors, and put on some aftermarket ones and be done with it. You could get them replaced but you'll always have the same problem.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sounds like alot of warped rotors on these cars. Are people not bedding them in properly? It doesn't take much to wreck a new set of rotors during break in. Has anyone pulled there rotors and confirmed they are warped? Any failures/cracking reported? Powerslot rotors would obviously be a good setup for performance rotors but jcwhitney rotors??? :eek:

·
Registered
216 Posts
Interfire: I was again speaking about rotors on "quality cars" If the manufacturer goes cheap (small area, thin rotors) you will get warping quicker and maybe only be able to turn the rotor 1 time. So how do the car mags that beat the hell out of cars regularly report the pads alone are good for 60-100k miles based on measuring them at 40,000 miles?
And is Moto is right: New pads need to be properly seated- I'm sure they don't come from the factory already set. I've always read that a driver should perform 5-10 hard stops from 40 mph within the first 500 miles. Don't lock em up, and don't do them all at once (or you will overheat them and then REALLY warp your rotors.) Seems to work for me, but at 7K on my G6, for how long is anyone's guess. My Supercharged MR2 needed rotors turned every 3500 miles, but then, I never seated the pads properly back then. I bet I went through 5 sets of rotors on that thing...

·
Registered
113 Posts
I knew what you were saying and meant by it, but it was kinda confusing to match that with what you said about people telling you the rotors can't be turned twiced. True most people don't break in the brakes properly, but then again it's just that most people don't know how to brake period. Can't blame all of that on the equipment.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I still haven't decided if the G6 brakes suck. So far, mine stops great, and has much better pedal feel than my BMW 3-series. Hopefully, seating the new brakes will help me get more miles out of them before problems come up. But if I get warp before 25,000 miles or so, I'm just going to get the aftermarket slotted ones Interfire was talking about. Rotor shudder sucks, wears out the pads too quickly, and it gets expensive replacing rotors- pads are supposed to wear out before rotors, LOL...

·
Registered
70 Posts
My rear rotors are rumbling now. My car has 20,000 Kms on it, and the front rotors have already been machined once. If they do need to be replaced will I be able to use the money towards higher quality brakes? I don't mind paying for better brakes if GM is helping me out.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Yeah, that's weird. Usually the fronts rotors warp way before the rears. Fronts generate about 60-70% of stopping force is why I ask: Any chance the rear parking brake was not totally disengaged? Even once? A minute or less with it even partially engaged can create enough heat to warp the rotors. Ask my Porsche. A friend of mine drove it at a party I was having. 15 minutes later, rear pads and rotors were fried. I wasn't in the car. He's not allowed to drive the P914 anymore...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Yeah that's not very common, you sure it wasn't the fronts? lol j/k I believe you. The rears on this car aren't very good either, but as said the fronts generate most of the braking anyways. You might get GM to put better pads on, but they can't really do anything about the rotors.

·
Registered
199 Posts
pete1182 said:
I just ordered new high performance brake rotors and cermic pads from j.c. whitney. Im tired of the rumbling every time i hit the brakes,Gm stock rotors are terrible.I have 30k on the stock brakes which have been rumbling for 10k or so.I will keep you posted on how much better they are when i put them on.
Take care Pete
I just replaced my front rotors this weekend with some (made in USA) lifetime warranty rotors from NAPA. I warped mine at 8k miles and lived with it up to 24k miles but it was getting so bad that my dash would shake violently when I put the brakes on.

Cost was $65 each and the warranty covers them if they wear out or warp.
I plan on having to get new rotors each year unless these turn out to be a really good quality rotor :rolleyes:

·
Registered
23 Posts
i can state that the GM G6 rotors will last more than 2 turnings. I have warped them twice so far... I think G6~Mike and I have similar braking habits. Drag racing also puts a lot of wear on them... multiple 100+ - 0 stops in a single night =)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts