Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Lifetime Member
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For you coon-asses out there;

ACT 190 (Effective August 15, 2009), requires that any person operating a motor vehicle on a multi lane roadway in Louisiana must travel in the right lane and shall not drive in the left lane. If the motorist must travel in the left lane, it shall not be at a speed less than that of a vehicle traveling in the right lane. This is with the exception of vehicles preparing for a left turn at an intersection or private road or driveway, when passing another vehicle traveling the same direction, when the right lanes are congested, or when directed otherwise by law enforcement.

·
Fried like a Cheese Stick
1,035 Posts
Many years ago I got pulled over and one of the violations mentioned by the officer was "failure to keep right", so I guess this has been on the books in NJ for a while.

FWIW the ticket I got was for speeding (paced at 72, cited for 69 in a 55 :eek:).

·
Registered
346 Posts
For you coon-asses out there;
Talk about some B.S. So basically, they want everyone to form a line and drive as a single unit? :bash:

·
Registered
346 Posts
Unless you're passing, Yes.
Man, I don't understand the intelligent brains behind this one - really. Think about it. This law states, "If the motorist must travel in the left lane, it shall not be at a speed less than that of a vehicle traveling in the right lane." - Well, in what way are we able to measure the distance of our vehicle from the vehicle in the right lane? If there is a vehicle up ahead, and you can tell that they are going slower than yourself, and you decide to "switch" lanes a mile back, does that constitute as a legal action? Are you only able to pass a vehicle if he's within a car's length? Wouldn't that cause liability issues? Whats the point of having multiple lanes if your only supposed to drive in one lane, at the speed limit. Because theoretically speaking, if we all drove the speed limit, there wouldn't be people passing each other, now would there?

OK, so I know the speed limit is the "limit" of the road - which does not mean it's the absolute speed of the road - people can drive slower - but how many people really do? Sure there is a grandma or two out there that does, but honestly, law officials and government drive over the limit more often than the citizens they govern.

Laws like that should be amended to "If you drive slow, stay in the right-most lane." Not: "if you drive fast, first proceed to the right lane when upon entering the road facility, and continue to drive your speed until you need to maneuver around a slower moving object." :rolleyes:

·
Registered
555 Posts
Washington has had that law for a while now. They enforce it mostly in rural areas. when its in the city usualy they understand the congestion and the need to use the left lane.

Thats when people think they can drive 5 below in the fast lane.

AND speaking of driving slow in the fast lane, on my way home from work when i began to exit the highway i saw a toyota corrolla in the fast lane going about 20 below! It wasnt too congested today and a biker dude got pissed off who was riding behind this idiot, went to pass and gave em the finger lol!
I chuckled as the toyota CONTINUED to drive like gma betty in the fast lane.:rolleyes:

·
CrAzY Moderator
963 Posts
Tennessee has had that same law to. but there just not going to inforce it all that hard yet. they sent a pamplet out to the houses that stated this law was in effect only a matter of time before they just start pulling everyone over.

·
2006 Black G6 GT
395 Posts
This happens in Michigan all the time. I dont really mind the law, cuz i usually drive in the right and if someone is slow infront of me i just pass them.

They dont really enforce it here tho.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
I don't think it's a law specifically in VA, unfortunately. I hate people that are HOV (carpool) and drive 55 in the left lane. Reminds me of the Sammy Hagar, I can't drive 55, song.

Stay right, pass left, how phucking hard is that people?!?!

·
Registered
286 Posts
It prevents allot of accidents. There is no reason for some one to drive in the fast lane unless they are passing.

Think about it. You have 2 cars one in slow lane one in fast lane and they are both doing 5 under the limit. So....you have 2 lanes of traffic backed up. People getting road rage ...ect.

No reason for it. If you are not passing stay in the slow lane and do the speed limit. And if you are passing get in the fast lane and pass, don't screw around doing 1 mph faster than the car your passing and take 5 miles to do it.

Try doing that crap in Europe... you'll get hit from behind, get killed and it will be your fault.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Man, I don't understand the intelligent brains behind this one - really. Think about it. This law states, "If the motorist must travel in the left lane, it shall not be at a speed less than that of a vehicle traveling in the right lane." - Well, in what way are we able to measure the distance of our vehicle from the vehicle in the right lane? If there is a vehicle up ahead, and you can tell that they are going slower than yourself, and you decide to "switch" lanes a mile back, does that constitute as a legal action? Are you only able to pass a vehicle if he's within a car's length? Wouldn't that cause liability issues? Whats the point of having multiple lanes if your only supposed to drive in one lane, at the speed limit. Because theoretically speaking, if we all drove the speed limit, there wouldn't be people passing each other, now would there?

OK, so I know the speed limit is the "limit" of the road - which does not mean it's the absolute speed of the road - people can drive slower - but how many people really do? Sure there is a grandma or two out there that does, but honestly, law officials and government drive over the limit more often than the citizens they govern.

Laws like that should be amended to "If you drive slow, stay in the right-most lane." Not: "if you drive fast, first proceed to the right lane when upon entering the road facility, and continue to drive your speed until you need to maneuver around a slower moving object." :rolleyes:
Your one of those drivers who drive in the fast lane next to another car in the slow lane ain't ya.....lol

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Law is a good idea in most places. Esp Utah and Colorado. I know they have the laws there because I was pulled over in Colorado driving in the left lane. The only thing that upsets me about this law is when it's 2 Big Rigs and one is going MAYBE 1 MPH faster than the one in front of it and so it goes to pass and you are stuck behind 2 big rigs that are taking their time to pass each other.

·
Varsity Squad
751 Posts
This has been law in PA for along time, never heard anyone getting pulled over for it, and I know there are people who do not follow it because I have passed several cars using the right hand lane. PEDAL ON THE RIGHT!!!!

·
Lifetime Member
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have a friend that told me he drives in the fast lane because doesn't like to weeve in an out passing peeps.
I tried to explain but it was over his head I guess.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Law is a good idea in most places. Esp Utah and Colorado. I know they have the laws there because I was pulled over in Colorado driving in the left lane. The only thing that upsets me about this law is when it's 2 Big Rigs and one is going MAYBE 1 MPH faster than the one in front of it and so it goes to pass and you are stuck behind 2 big rigs that are taking their time to pass each other.
Man I hate when big rigs do that. Take 5 miles to pass and have 15 or 20 cars backed up. My brother is a trucker and I give him crap about that and all he does is complain about idiots in cars....lol

Vicious circle.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts