Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone glad to be here. could really use some help. I dropped my alternator and forgot to disconnect the battery there was a huge Spark after I plugged everything back up the car won't start someone told me it might be the starter line fuse or something like that can anyone point me in the right direction

·
ASE expert
75 Posts
Fusable link, I can tell you exactly where it is and how to check it but Im gonna need some more info other than my car which is obviously a G6, but year, trim package, engine size, transmission auto, standard, options, ect....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fusable link, I can tell you exactly where it is and how to check it but Im gonna need some more info other than my car which is obviously a G6, but year, trim package, engine size, transmission auto, standard, options, ect....
Hey Jayram thanks

It's a g6 gt 2007 3.5.
since the post I put a new battery in when I turn the ignition I just heard a click. someone said I might have reconnected the starter wrong but that the fusible link might still be out

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The reason he said that was because he saw some Sparks come from the starter when I tried to start it. Do you have a schematic of the starter and what wires go where?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Appreciated, to tell you the truth I don't understand those schematics. Maybe if it could be dumbed down to my level. What wire goes where on the solenoid or starter? I think I may have hooked it up wrong or left something off. Thanks again

·
4,064 Posts
From what I remember.... there are three posts on the starter. the small post with the wire that's connected from the starter itself. leave it alone.
The large post gets the positive battery cable, the other small post get the wire from your harness, this is where I don't quite remember there may be one more that goes on that small post as well. you might want to look at a couple you tube videos on changing out the starter. they might show you the wiring.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the posts. I'm still trying to track down the fusible link. does it run from the starter to the battery or from the starter to the alternator to the battery. I cannot find a diagram of where it runs exactly throughout the engine
Thanks again

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes the fusible link runs from the same post as where the large cable from the battery attaches to the starter. It would then travel through the harness and eventually come out by the alternator. You see 12 volt positive power is sent down the purple wire to the starter where when that happens it creates a magnetic field and pulls the far right hand leg over to energize sending the 12 volts up to the fuse link and to the alternator. The fuseible link should be located down by the starter and should have an eyelet on it that's a pretty good size. Usually the wire may be grey where the link actually is.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got it sorted. Just an update, the pics helped out immensely. Mine was a bit different. Red and fusible went on the one and the purple wire was a plug if some sort. Ran a new wire and had to get a new starter. Fun times.
Thanks all for the help

1 - 11 of 11 Posts