Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, this is the last question I have about this car for now. I hope you Guys can help me with all these questions. Anyway, this car I'm looking at also makes a clunking noise when you turn the wheel side to side at low speeds or stopped. I searched here and found a video that sounds exactly the same. My mechanic says it is most likely the intermediate steering shaft which needs to be replaced.
Does this sound right? Can I do this myself? I work on cars frequently.
Thanks,
Chris.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Def sounds like the i-shaft. If you want an easy quick fix (maybe) just try lubing it first instead of replacing it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice on my questions Firedown. I decided to cancel this purchase for the Pontiac. The car was beautiful, 2006 G6 3.5 metalic blue. I just cant get over the fact that we still cant engineer a car in this country. After over 100 years, issues like this should not exist. If some engineer is responsible for this failed design, then GM should recall the car. I keep hearing that this is not a safety issue. I'm close to 50 now, and I don't need someone telling me what is safe and what is not safe. Even though my mechanic can give it a PA State insection sticker, does not mean that it is safe. Mechanically something is loose in the steering assembly, its a no brainer. This car was going to be for my daughter. There is no way I would put her in that car. I'm tired of babying our car companies in this country, GM should really be out of business.
I pulled up the carfax and the steering gear along with tie rods were replaced last year. This sounds like so many posts on this site that talk about the problem returning.
I will not be purchasing an american car again for a while. I thought that we had learned something from our competition. I still percieve Japanese cars as superior to all other cars manufactured on the planet. I'm finished my rant now, thanks again for your respones.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts