Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks! Yeah, I'm new here. Bought a 2008 G6 convertible a little over two years ago. Love it...mostly. I'm having some minor problems with the engine at 1400-1600 rpms and thought I'd check out your forum and see if anyone has a solution other than replacing/cleaning the MAF. I'll dig around and see what I find.

I live in Vegas, and let me tell you, there is nothing like putting the top down, cranking the music, and riding up and down the strip on a warm summer evening (which in Vegas, is usually around 102 degrees). Definitely not a top-down kind of place in the daytime. Burn your scalp right off!

I usually try and do my own repairs on my car, but sometimes I have to take it to the dealer, who sold me one of those worthless aftermarket warrantees. I highly recommend staying as far from this dealer as possible, btw. He wanted $250 to "Repair" not replace my headlamp (a wire was shorting out). I bought two really excellent new ones and just replaced both for $289.

I'm a huge computer geek, love playing games on Steam, especially the ones with gore AND story. I recently purchased a bluetooth ELM327 interface and trying to figure out what all the details mean. And even though my car stutters at the 1400-1600 rpm range, it's throwing no codes. But with you folks' help I'll figure it out.

Well, enough about me. I hope to get LOTS of interesting info from your site. Thank you for having me :D

·
Registered
447 Posts
Welcome to the club!

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
Welcome to the club! Lots of good info here. Could you give us some more detail about what exactly happens at 1400-1600?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the welcome guys :D

As for what the car does: Well, mostly just a literal stutter, like stepping on a garden hose but really quick. Sometimes, especially after driving a bit (over 10 minutes), it gets a lot worse and can buck like a bronco. All of this only happens if I'm giving it just a little gas and on any kind of an incline. There have been occasions when I've heard it backfire through the engine (as opposed to the exhaust), kind like a puff sound. And sometimes on the way home, when I come off the exit ramp from a dead stop, I have to do all but stomp the accelerator to get it past the stutter/puff stage.

That's pretty much it. Other than that, it runs fantastic. Well, maybe a slight hesitation when going into passing gear, but I kind of expect that. I've replaced the MAF, so the next thing is this weekend taking it to replace plugs and wires, just in case. It probably needs it anyhow. I'm at 90k and had it since 70k and know it hasn't been done since I got it.

Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
Do the plugs and wires, run some seafoam through the gas tank, and replace the air filter if it needs to be.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
4,052 Posts
Welcome to the club! Im also in Vegas and have had the same problem in the past. Its back fired on me a few times over the years. Any time my intake temp is over 120 my car runs like shit. When it hits over 150 thats when it starts to lag. Once cooler temps hit I never have problems. Ive changed the plugs, wires, coils and no change. Someone else on here had somewhat the same symptoms and they found the MAF wiring was bad.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the tips. New wires and plugs coming Tuesday. I replaced the MAF and the filter, no change. Got the reader and it's not throwing any errors. And yeah, the hotter it is, the worse it gets. AND, as a side note, being diligent in the attempt at diagnosis, I noticed it HATES Shell gas for some reason. Runs like crap. The el-cheapo stuff at Terribles seems to be much better. Same octane, so that's not it. (and yeah, tried 3 different octanes and didn't make any difference) I can't wait until next weekend when I get the wires and plugs in. I hope that fixes it.

And just for fun, I had to put this in 'cause it made me laugh. :barf:

·
Premium Member
636 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, finally got my plugs and wires installed today, Taylor ThunderVolt 8.2 wires and Pulstar plugs (both from CARiD). Guys, seriously, I have a new car. This runs better than the day I bought it. Not only does it not fart, burp, and give birth when trying to drive at 1500-1600 rpm, the darned thing has JUICE! Pulling out of the mechanic's lot, I actually burned rubber and DIDN'T MEAN TO! Absolutely amazing.

Now, do I know it was the plugs or wires that gave me that boost? No clue. It never ran this good and I bought it used. And I can see where one plug was not only burnt, but cracked, so there would be my main "Miss" issue. The remaining plugs were burnt pretty bad as well. But I have never imagined this car with this much "balls". I am Totally satisfied with this fix so far. I'll know more tomorrow when I run it to work in 105 degree Vegas heat, but I can't see there being an issue now. I'll update here if there is.

I also want to see if there is an improvement in gas mileage as well. Heck, it even shifts better now. I have no idea what one has to do with the other, other than the engine not being able to handle the pull on it, and just stuttering until it HAS to shift to compensate. I am such a HAPPY camper now :D .

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts