Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
My name is Bill, I am from East Perersburg Pa.
I have 2 codes currently on our 2006 G6.

They are:
P0303 Cylinder 3 miss
P1174 Fuel trim cylinder balance bank 1.

Is this something I can fix myself or should I take it to the garge.

·
Old far...er...tinkerer..
303 Posts
Hi,
My name is Bill, I am from East Perersburg Pa.
I have 2 codes currently on our 2006 G6.

They are:
P0303 Cylinder 3 miss
P1174 Fuel trim cylinder balance bank 1.

Is this something I can fix myself or should I take it to the garge.
The cause and effect needs to be determined first. I suspect the miss on cylinder three is causing a rich condition in the exhaust resulting in the fuel trim message. But I also wonder if could be the other way around, if a leaky injector could be causing a rich condition and also causing the miss.

I suspect the former. What motor is in the car? Have you inspected under the hood? A bad plug wire could be causing the miss. Or maybe the plug is bad. If the wire and plug are good, I'd probably try a new coil pack. After that, I need more expertise :)

Doug

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The cause and effect needs to be determined first. I suspect the miss on cylinder three is causing a rich condition in the exhaust resulting in the fuel trim message. But I also wonder if could be the other way around, if a leaky injector could be causing a rich condition and also causing the miss.

I suspect the former. What motor is in the car? Have you inspected under the hood? A bad plug wire could be causing the miss. Or maybe the plug is bad. If the wire and plug are good, I'd probably try a new coil pack. After that, I need more expertise :)

Doug

We dropped it off at the repair shop last night. My wife said she had no stearing and it stalled when she got to the shop. It seems to be the alternator. Is it possible the codes are because of the alternator is not putting out the correct voltage.

·
Decepticon Extraordinaire
5,348 Posts
How many miles on it? Plugs are good to 100k.
Youd be surprised what a new set of iridium plugs and wires will do.

·
Old far...er...tinkerer..
303 Posts
We dropped it off at the repair shop last night. My wife said she had no stearing and it stalled when she got to the shop. It seems to be the alternator. Is it possible the codes are because of the alternator is not putting out the correct voltage.
The newer cars have electric power steering (rather than hydraulic). So if the electrical system can't produce enough power, the steering cold be affected.

But if the alternator is so bad as to cause that issue, I'd expect a dead battery - ie, a no-start condition.

As for the other problems, I'm sure a low voltage condition can cause things such as misfires and stalling. But again I'd expect a dead battery before I got those problems. That said, if the voltage regulator (inside the alternator) had gone intermittent, it might could cause some of these other issues without causing a dead battery.

I hope the new alternator fixes everything. Let us know if it does, or if you still have misfires and stalling afterward.

Doug

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

I am Aaron from Chicago Illinois. I drive a 2008 Pontiac G6 GT. I am having problems with the speaker being distorted at low volume.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts