Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone!

I just purchased an '09/G6 2.4L with 14k miles and need to change the oil. I've searched the forums a bit, but was wondering if people tend to purchase parts locally or online.

Thank you!

·
Legend
782 Posts
Welcome. Both really, I buy parts online and from my local autoparts store. But as far as an oil change I just take mine to a shop bc it costs basically the same if not a little more to do it myself over paying someone else to do it for me.

Sent from my Desire HD using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
230 Posts
I agree with that ^^ I have always considered doing my own oil change but some places offer such good deals that it would cost the same or more to do it myself...so why not save sometime and energy and have someone else do it for me? but if you are considering doing it yourself these cars are very easy to change the oil on

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Welcome! I too have an '09 2.4L! I personally do my own oil changes, I don't really trust anyone with my car, not even the dealer. If I'm doing it I know it's done right, but that's just me.

·
Registered
24 Posts
For basic maintenance parts, I buy from local parts stores. For any performance and appearance parts I shop around the internet.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I purchase some parts locally, oil and that I order online (Amsoil oil & filters for my G6). I do an oil change every 1.5 to 2 years depending on how I drive it. I'm lucky to put on 9-10K a year and I service it myself.

For a full synthetic oil change you're looking at over $100 here in Ontario, plus $10 per additional quart. I get the Amsoil fluids and filter for about $60.

My last oil change was slightly more than two years. After 13 months I sucked out an ounce to send in for analysis ($25) and it still had 76% life left in it, hence why I didn't bother changing it out. I also add about a half quart once a year to top up the level between the MIN/MAX mark on the dipstick. Individuals with a brain and change the oil more frequently won't notice any burn off. I can't speak for the 2.4L, but the 3.5L is quite the engine!

Keep in mind too that if you need parts RIGHT NOW, then purchasing parts online isn't the ideal place to get them from, although the 'net can offer much better deals.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts