Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This happened to my 2005 G6 yesterday while driving at about 25 mph and making a right hand turn. The steering locked completely and put me into oncoming traffic. There was no power steering error at first. The power steering did not just go out, there was no way to turn the wheel. The wheel actually popped then jerked back to the left. After being flipped off by a guy driving a truck that came about a foot from hitting me, I put the car in reverse and everything was good...for about a block. The same problem happened, no matter what way I turned, with a Power Steering error that flashed for 2 seconds then went away.

Early this morning I took the car to the dealer, which said there was a bad steering column. The bill came to $600, as the car is no longer under warranty. I filed a complaint to the NHTSA and Pontiac, with no help so far.

Tomorrow I will be filing a complaint through the BBB, and a regional manager from Pontiac is supposed to call me. Apparantly there is an extended warranty coverage of 7 years or 70,000 miles on the steering columns. My car has 93,000 on it.

Now for some interesting stuff. The dealer had several steering columns in stock, which I find kind of funny, as they are not a part like brakes or rotors. I have also found reading many websites where the columns were replaced on others G6's. From what I asked the parts guy at the dealer, its the same part number that came out of the car as well.

So what I learned today is GM knows of a defect in the column, so they replaced mine, for $600, with the exact same column which will probably have the exact same defect. I feel really comfortable with this situation. On the bright side, this POS probably wont last another 93,000 miles, so maybe the steering issue wont show back up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So Pontiac called back today and offered a $500 coupon on the purchase of a new vehicle from a GM dealer. Unbelievable...

·
Registered
26 Posts
So Pontiac called back today and offered a $500 coupon on the purchase of a new vehicle from a GM dealer. Unbelievable...
Yea I am having my steering column replaced tomorrow, $600 bucks but not at the dealer. I took all the same steps you have and Pontiac told me the same bullshit that If I take it to the dealer they "may" assist me in the repair...yea :2up: to GM. Thanks for posting about how they offered you a coupon for 500 bucks towards a new car, it was that response from them in your situation that made me refuse there BS. I told the guy he is full of shit because all I am going to get is some BS coupon for the new car which I wont be needing after this car. I'm pissed off about the whole situation because they know there is a safety hazard, they know someone may die because of this and wont step up to the plate and do the right thing by the taxpayers that bailed them out. My wife was driving the car when the steering went out and almost crashed into a tree.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts