Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, next month I want to get some new tires for our '08 GXP. Currently our G6 has 18" factory rims, with 225/50 R18 Goodyear Eagles. Willing to change tire size (wider/lower) as need be. My girlfriend likes Pirellis, as do I. I also like Yokohamas. I'm no tire guru though, so throw out some nice performance tire brands.

We live in Tacoma, WA, (wet) so while I'd like all out performance tires, I think we have to settle for some All Weather/Performance hybrid if such a tire exists.

What's a nice set for, say $1,000 or less, that you folks might suggest?

· Registered
638 Posts
i had a set of pirellis 225/ 40 zr18, they were Pirelli Pzero Nero M&S. it IS classified as an all season, and it is a great tire for just about anything but doesnt do too well in snow, i really loved them, i would go with size 245/40zr18 when i get them again. if you really want a perfomance tire you should have dedicated winter tires. right now i have toyo proxes 4 size 225/45r18, and i cant really say its a "bad" tire but i really liked the pirellis a lot better. the toyos just dont get "sticky" when they are warm, and dont have as great of traction on wet roads. i drive 1800 miles in 30 hours usually once a month, and one thing i noticed right after putting on pirellis last year is after drivin normal 100 miles or so, if you stoped somewhere and felt the tread of the tire, whe it was warm it would feel "sticky" where as i can do a burnout with the toyos and get them heated up and thay still dont stick.

this next time around i think im gonna try hankook ventus evo 12, and see how i like those, if those dont work out im definately going to go back to the pirellis.

actually, on second thought i originally had stock 17" chrometech wheels and the 245/40 is the match for that, i think its been said that 245/45 18 is a good match for the stock 18 size of 225/50 lol.

so my advice is if you truly want "performance tires" spend the money on 2 sets of tires, get pirellis for spring/summer/fall and get a set of steel wheels with snow tires for winter, being from WA i imagine you could probably use some.

ever heard of tirerack.com?

thats where i bought the pirellis from for $134ea i beleive.

and IMHO i just do not like "all season" tires, on dry and wet roads they can be OK, but when it comes to snow they still suck. i work all over MT, UT, ID, CO and WY so we can see some pretty bad winters here too.

· Registered
638 Posts

· Varsity Squad
751 Posts
I am running my second set of Bridgestone Potenza RE050's in the stock size 225/50/18 for my summers and run Bridgestone Blizzak WS60 size 215/65/16 on steelies in the winter. My car had the Goodyears on OE, but I had them changedover to the Potenzas within the first 1000 miles and it felt like I got a different car! The Bridgestone Potenzas are awesome in wet and dry, but should not see the snow. They are unbelieveable through the bends no matter if its pouring down rain or 80 degrees and sunny. I live in Western PA and see quite the variety of weather, and with these two sets of Bridgestone tires I can go anywhere there is a road no matter what the weather.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks all for the suggestions. This will give me a few options so I can shop around a bit and find the best bang for the buck.

Can't wait to mash our silver bullet into some corners with sticky new rubber meeting the pavement... :cool:

edit: I was looking at the RE50s and ran across these Bridgestone Potenza RE960 AS Pole Position For about $12 more per tire. Like the look of them.

As for snow, our GXP will never be driven in it if I can help it. We'll use our '07 Escape Ltd or our trusty old Suburban for that duty.

· Varsity Squad
751 Posts
I have seen the 960's, but they were not available in the 225/50/18's and the 050's were an option for oe on the GTP's when I made the switch. I'm sure if you go with the 960's you will be happy, had the 950's on a car before. Besides: For those who are looking to get the MOST out of their car, ITS BRIDGESTONE OR NOTHING!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.