Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help for getting new tires for my '07 G6.
The Continental tires that came new with my car in 07 are finished after 25,000 miles. Winter is closing in here in the Northeast, so I need to get some new tires.
I've never had worse tires on a vehicle since I've been driving since 1984.
Any recommendations from the members will be greatly appreciated by this member.
G

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
If you have some extra cash you should get a set of steel rims and dedicated snow tires. But if you don't have that (like myself) I found that Dunlops and Goodyear Eagle GT's usually are the better performing in snow in the survey's I found around the internet.

·
Registered
103 Posts
my falken ze912 are pretty darn nice just got them 2 weeks ago,alot better than those stock Continental tires suck just my opinion though.:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the replies. Yes, my current tires are 225 17 17, with the polished aluminum rims. I'm currently looking for the Eagle GT's since I've heard good things about them in the past.
If anyone knows of a good place to buy them in the Northeast area, I would appreciate it. I'm close to Philadelphia, and am angry about paying 30 dollars for a simple tire plug at the last place I went to.
It is supposed to snow this weekend, and I do not trust the tires currently on my vehicle.
The traction is so bad, the front tires can't even keep traction in rainy weather. The traction control monitor comes on every time I hit the gas coming off a stop.
Thanks again.
G

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
I'm currently looking for the Eagle GT's since I've heard good things about them in the past.
If anyone knows of a good place to buy them in the Northeast area, I would appreciate it. I'm close to Philadelphia, and am angry about paying 30 dollars for a simple tire plug at the last place I went to.
That's what I have right now too. I've only had to drive once in snow with them so far and they are tons better than the Falken 912s I had (at least in snow). Discount tire is cheaper than most of the other places because they don't charge for shipping like the other places. I got my tires in 2 days so you'll be really pushing it to get them before the storm.

They're calling for up to a foot in the DC area. :crazy:

Guess I'm not going anywhere this weekend....

·
2006 Black G6 GT
395 Posts
are you look for new tires for all 4 seasons and your new main tire, or are you just purchasing tires for the snow/winter?

Makes a big difference on what you should purchase.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I need some help for getting new tires for my '07 G6.
The Continental tires that came new with my car in 07 are finished after 25,000 miles. Winter is closing in here in the Northeast, so I need to get some new tires.
I've never had worse tires on a vehicle since I've been driving since 1984.
Any recommendations from the members will be greatly appreciated by this member.
G

·
Registered
10 Posts
I don't know who you have been listening to but good year tires are about as low as you can buy. You only live in Philly so i don't see you needing snow tires. a decent set of all seasons should do you fine. I live in Canada and just bought my first set of winters in 30 years and they are the best. Go down to 16" Steel rims and get an equivalent size, i'm sorry i can't remember what mine was but as long as you are within 3% of the circumference you're ok. As far as summers go I have federals on mine, they look fantastic, stick good and are relatively inexpensive, like $110.00/per up here. Stay as far away from good for one year as possible, they have been on a few of my Grand Am's and My Old Chevelle. I could make a better tire.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the replies. We got 24" of snow in my area, and I have not moved my car yet, tomorrow I'll dig it out. I'm looking for 4 new all seasons tires. I guess I'll have to do some research now.
G

·
Registered
10 Posts
snow tires

That must have been quite a storm for your area. It would have been an ass dragger up here. We just got a foot out of the Blue today and is still snowing hard. Kind of nice, not cold not too bad to get around in either just slow down a bit.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I bought a set of Falken Eurowinter HS439 from 1010tires.com, i had them on for just over week, I live in Canada... amazing tires! I have the P225/50R/17's so far they've seen -37C windchill and about 30cm of snow.

·
Registered
470 Posts
tdelamor - those were my pick as well, however I decided against winter tires for this car...

...My OEM Conti's were crap, and after one succumbed to a nail a month ago I decided to replace them all. I only had 4/32nd of tread left anyway and at 2/32nds it's all over. Needless to say I don't drive it much in the snow, as I leave that for my other vehicles with the proper tires. However, for the occasional time that I'd be out and about I didn't want any traction problems so I shopped around, and after a few hours of careful considerations decided on some General Grabber UHP tires. They have some bite all around the tread, and during a 1" snowfall earlier last week they performed well above expectations, especially when compared to the OEM Conti's which I never did like even when they were new.

General Grabber UHP's -
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/BigPi...5WR7EUHP&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update................

I finally broke down and bought Michelin Pilot Sport AS+. Almost all of the reviews I've seen were very positive, and after having them only for a while, you can feel the difference from the crap Continental tires that came with the car.
Thanks to all who helped me out for the matter.
G

·
Lifetime Member
3,269 Posts
Update................

I finally broke down and bought Michelin Pilot Sport AS+. Almost all of the reviews I've seen were very positive, and after having them only for a while, you can feel the difference from the crap Continental tires that came with the car.
Thanks to all who helped me out for the matter.
G
:beer:

·
Registered
3 Posts
You need winter tires for winter and summer tires for summer....

As a Canadian driver, my experience in the differences between the two is quite extensive... Winter tires are like fitting 4-wheel drive the difference is that great! Except it's even better because you stop in half the distance of 4x4s on summer/all season tires.

All season tires are a compromise... not much good in summer, not much good in winter...

I would say fit 205/60R16 Winter tires in winter and then 225/50R17 in summer. (Although I'm looking at 245/45R17s for summer... anyone fitted this size?)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.