Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would like to get a clean set of chrome tipped mufflers that sound stock or a HINT of something aftermarket. Can someone point me in the right direction? Car is 06 G6 GTP sedan.

·
Registered
460 Posts
If you're lookin to stay quiet. I would go stock resonator and just add a dynomax superturbo muffler with a set of tips of your choice. The superturbo is a very subtle muffler but deepens the sound up. Check it out on youtube to get a idea.

·
Decepticon Extraordinaire
5,354 Posts
Are you looking for a bolt on or fabricating it yourself?

Did you want dual outs (you would need to buy the GTP back valance for your bumper)
or a single out?

If your fabbing it up yourself be sure and remove that huge center resonator. Its 37lbs of crap. Dont straight pipe it....trust me.....or you will get rasp. Just drop a nice flow through muffler there. Also dont go larger in diameter than 4" round or you will have clearance issues.

I recommend you go 2.5" from the flex pipe back.

The only bolt on I would recommend is Classic Performance's exhaust. Its called the GT-R.

GM makes one and I believe Magnaflow has a single bolt on as well.

Im on my 3rd exhaust on my G6. lol

·
Registered
460 Posts
If he is going for a stock sound than GT-R by classic4performance is not for him. If you want to keep it stock sounding just look into a set of exhaust tips online or through a local shop and have them installed. Lampoon is right though, if you remove the stock resonator it will sound horrible.

·
Registered
114 Posts
is it possible to get dual exhaust installed for a 08 sedan GT G6?

·
Registered
114 Posts
A true dual? Yes. These engines need some back pressure though so be carefull.
So is it not recommended? I'm just brain storming on some ideas.

·
Registered
64 Posts
so what kind of muffler can u put instead of resonator

·
Registered
64 Posts
i was thinking of putting a glasspack were the resonator goes and follow up with a borla exhaust

·
Storm Trooper
323 Posts
You should run this setup!

http://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/showpost.php?p=58110&postcount=16

Sounds way better than any setup i have ever heard. and from what the owner says it is super affordable. He paid 315 shipped plus the exhaust shop to mount it.

the GTR is going to be too loud and it is an extra 80 or so to put in a resonator so it is going to be like 800 shipped and installed.

Save your money and go with the Vibrant

·
Registered
29 Posts
Of course, once they email us, they'll find out that we're no where near $800.00, not that there's any comparison between the two systems anyway.

·
Banned
258 Posts
Actually tupp is right, if the OP ops for the additional resonator. Cause its 599 plus shipping, lets say its 80-100 to ship thats 699, and if you add the res thats 760-780. So really it would cost about 800, and if he has a shop do it for him thats ANOTHER 50-80 bucks (depends if they want to screw you over).

Once again it depends on if he ops for the res and a shop to install.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Actually tupp is right, if the OP ops for the additional resonator. Cause its 599 plus shipping, lets say its 80-100 to ship thats 699, and if you add the res thats 760-780. So really it would cost about 800, and if he has a shop do it for him thats ANOTHER 50-80 bucks (depends if they want to screw you over).

Once again it depends on if he ops for the res and a shop to install.
Like I said, if they email us, they will know the truth.

·
5,354 Posts
You should run this setup!

http://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/showpost.php?p=58110&postcount=16

Sounds way better than any setup i have ever heard. and from what the owner says it is super affordable. He paid 315 shipped plus the exhaust shop to mount it.

the GTR is going to be too loud and it is an extra 80 or so to put in a resonator so it is going to be like 800 shipped and installed.

Save your money and go with the Vibrant
Better than any setup youve ever heard? Wow....
Cant wait to see you buy them and put them on your G6. :p

The Cavman paid close to $700 for that setup from what Ive read ($350 for the pipes & install and it was over $315 for the Vibrant mufflers & tips).

So not allot of savings but he is sure happy with it. :beer:

Those MRT's look nice...but they are $500. Doesnt include pipe, resonator(?), or labor as you would need to alter the hangers and possibly the angle to make them fit. Kinda reminds me of KMans setup though. It may look really nice though if you can find a mandrel bender and a good welder.

Yall ever see newbies side exhaust?

·
Storm Trooper
323 Posts
Just measuring in terms of people reviews. From a sound aspect i thonk it sounds the best. Out of the options created.

The GTR is different, using a camaro style magnaflow (rebaffeled from what has been said from him directly) and it is built with better quality exhaust piping. No pinch bending, and it is boxed so that you could install in the drive way with those straps. But with n cear cut results, due to the "seat of the pants and the many customer reviews" it is unclear the true results for the 700 shipped wihout resinator (modest estimate on advertised "membership" pricing) that it is the catagory winner.

The Vibrant setup sounds great! The downside is you will need someone to pinch bend up some pipe and weld it together. Costing an additional ( total 665, thanks for the numbers ponners). The cost could be less if you know someone who can weld or you strike up a better deal with a shop. Based on customer reviews on this one we shall wait. As for exhasts the review from the custome id final and undisputed as fact. Right?:p

And i agree again with lampoon about the MRT. Sounds like fab costs will drive that one up quick. And who knows if the pre bent angles of those mufflers are usable because they were designed for a camaro.

·
5,354 Posts
Forgot to mention...I was apprehensive about getting my GT-R sans a resonator.
I thought, like you, that it would be too loud. Well my concerns were unfounded.

Its only loud at WOT and even then its not as loud as my Saleen exhaust at a normal
driving speed of 40 mph at regular throttle. ;)

Also if you think it is to loud after you clamp it up you can always drop a flow through there...thrush or cheery bomb or whathaveya.
$30 part then cut and clamp/weld.

but I understand about not being able to afford it. I couldnt at the time I did my first exhaust and only came around when someone locally sold me his GT-R when he had to turn his lease back in. Yup...mine was used. :eek:

You really have to see/hear it to appreciate it but there is nothing wrong with fabbin up your own (I did it!!)....however, I agree with GT-R in that you cant really compare them. Apples & oranges.

Lots of good exhausts out there though...but now I have the best! ;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts