Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got a g6 i thought the battery was going dead, when i started it the last few times it kinda slow crank and then this morning a few slow cranks and then nothing the lock thing comes on when i turn the key but goes off in a few seconds but she just wont turn over or crank i did buy a new battery and made sure it was fully charged tried resetting the key, read everything i could on the g6 not starting was hoping for any suggestions or am i going to have to take it to a dealer to get vat checked out ty

·
Old far...er...tinkerer..
303 Posts
I recently got a g6 i thought the battery was going dead, when i started it the last few times it kinda slow crank and then this morning a few slow cranks and then nothing the lock thing comes on when i turn the key but goes off in a few seconds but she just wont turn over or crank i did buy a new battery and made sure it was fully charged tried resetting the key, read everything i could on the g6 not starting was hoping for any suggestions or am i going to have to take it to a dealer to get vat checked out ty
The next place to look is at the cabling between the battery, ground and starter. If there's a corroded connection, that may be causing too much resistance.

Otherwise, if the battery is fully charged and it still won't crank, then I would pull the starter and have it tested (at a parts store, for example).

Doug

·
Old far...er...tinkerer..
303 Posts
that was the problem the starter failed without a prior problem
Thanks for the follow-up. It is appreciated !
Seems like I see this sorta stuff more nowadays than in the past. For example, in the early 80's, I had a battery going bad in my 1977 Monte Carlo...for 2 or 3 years

When I finally replaced it, it only weighed about a pound - seems it was completely used up by then (including the acid). I could usually get one good crank out of it, but if the motor didn't fire, there wasn't enough oomph left for a second crank - I'd have to get it jumped

Nowadays, when I have a battery fail, seems like it just quits without warning. No slow cranking - they go from cranking just fine to no cranking at all without any warning.

Doug

1 - 4 of 4 Posts