Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
I looked this morning and I have one also. What is it?

For your peace of mind, we provide recall information for your exact vehicle, based on your VIN. Please complete any recall-related vehicle work as soon as possible.

You've chosen to receive reminders for recalls. Go to the Subscription Center to edit your preferences.

For more information :
Contact your Preferred Dealer: 845-298-4700
Or
Contact the Pontiac Customer Assistance: 800-620-7668.

Recall ID: 05548

·
Registered
221 Posts
I just got off the phone with my Pontiac dealer. The recall is for the engine harmonic balancer. GM hasn't sent out the recall letters yet, but my dealer is going to replace the part for me next week.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I thought it was regarding the LATCH system...how difficult it was to connect to them, and that they were going to send supplemental instructions to owners...

·
Registered
221 Posts
MHadden said:
I thought it was regarding the LATCH system...how difficult it was to connect to them, and that they were going to send supplemental instructions to owners...
That came out in March, just after I bought mine. GM mailed you out a few pages to put in your owners manual.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just called dealer didnt have any recalls out that they knew about. Taking it in tmro for vibration in the front end and squeeking brakes. Will let you know what happens.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Front end Vibration

If the vibration is during braking it is just warped rotors which is typical with GM vehicles. Every one I have owned had rotor warp. Best thing you can do is get high quality drilled rotors on there. Mine are on order soon as I get my check. :D

·
Registered
113 Posts
Explr1 said:
I just got off the phone with my Pontiac dealer. The recall is for the engine harmonic balancer. GM hasn't sent out the recall letters yet, but my dealer is going to replace the part for me next week.
The "mygmlink.com" website finally caught up with my car that I've had for a month now. I was greeted with the same recall notice that you have listed in your prior posting. So, how much of a problem is this harmonic balancer recall? Should I not drive my car until I can get it to the dealer. It was too late for me to contact them by the time I read the recall that has no information... I was astonished as well that the NHTSA had no information on any recall except for the LATCH child restraint recall which my car is out of range of.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Soulmates00 said:
Yes the vibration is durring braking. Will I have the same issue in 3 to 6 months if GM replaces the roters?
Not if you tell them to use ceramic pads. After going through several rotors due to warping, both on my Malibu and the G6, I convinced the service manager to put on ceramic pads. Problem solved.

The service manager told me last time I was in that since they replaced mine, they have started to put them on all midsize vehicles (G6, GA, Malibu) that come in.

An added benefit is that the brake dust doesn't accumulate as badly as with regular pads.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Robyn P said:
I was at my dealership yesterday complaining about the rattle and they never mentioned anything to me.
Rattle fix--look under hood on pas side--see the rubber near shock tower--put sealer in the seams from fender to body--the dealer fixed mine--recall is a retouge of harmonic balancer--5 min fix

·
Registered
235 Posts
My G6 is at the dealership today for the rattle, the idle / not wanting to start, and the driver's side door falling apart.

Has anyone else had a problem starting their's? It turns over and acts like it wants to start, but seems to struggle, happens a few times per week, and some mornings it starts up with ease and then struggles to idle. I live in Tennessee, so it's not cold here at all, usually in the mid to high 70's at 6:45am, so it can't be the weather.

As for the door falling apart, I guess that's a little over the top, what has actually happened is, when you're looking at the door (from the inside of the car) the piece of the door that is to the left of the handle that you use to close the door is popping out. I keep pushing it back in, but I know if I don't get it fixed now, the whole interior of the door will probably tear up and of course that probably wouldn't happen till it was out of warranty. The dealership said they would probably have to order another door panel for it.

I'll let you know what they say about all of these problems, hopefully this afternoon.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Robyn P said:
My G6 is at the dealership today for the rattle, the idle / not wanting to start, and the driver's side door falling apart.

Has anyone else had a problem starting their's? It turns over and acts like it wants to start, but seems to struggle, happens a few times per week, and some mornings it starts up with ease and then struggles to idle. I live in Tennessee, so it's not cold here at all, usually in the mid to high 70's at 6:45am, so it can't be the weather.

As for the door falling apart, I guess that's a little over the top, what has actually happened is, when you're looking at the door (from the inside of the car) the piece of the door that is to the left of the handle that you use to close the door is popping out. I keep pushing it back in, but I know if I don't get it fixed now, the whole interior of the door will probably tear up and of course that probably wouldn't happen till it was out of warranty. The dealership said they would probably have to order another door panel for it.

I'll let you know what they say about all of these problems, hopefully this afternoon.

OK, I picked up my car a little while ago and here are the results. The rattle that I had, which sounded like it was coming from the dash on the passenger's side, the dealership replaced the belt and tensioner, so far I have not heard the rattle, I'll have to see what the morning brings. The idle and hard to start problem the dearlership checked the bulletins and then reprogrammed PCM, ordered parts to fix the door. Providing these problems are fixed and nothing else comes up, I will be happy with my G6 again.

·
Registered
11 Posts
yea im having some vibrations in the front left and mines an 06 um.. im taking mine to the dealer on wed. did they tell you what it was.?

·
Registered
11 Posts
mee too!1

i have the same noise in my car too and it seems like its on the passsenger side ,like a ripinging type rattling noise right?

·
Registered
11 Posts
anyone know if the harmonic balancer recall was issued?? i got an 05 g6 with 70,000 and wonder if the recall will cover my car?

·
Slick Black Pontiac
151 Posts
hey guys, check the date on this thread. The last time anybody was looking at this was in 2005

1 - 20 of 20 Posts