Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I picked up a great looking 2007 Pontiac G6 GT Couple 3.5L automatic in Transition Blue Metallic, it has high miles at just over 220k.
I got it from the original owner in Georgia, flew in and drove it home. Feel in love with the car in about 10 minutes, and by the time
I got home, I had a list of all the decencies and already wanted to upgrade to a 07+ G6 Convertible.

Top 3 issues on this coupe is:
Valve cover leak/seepage
ABS Module is bad (guessing, after 2 minutes ABS light comes on and chimes, but not the traction control)
Catalytic converter code P0420 is causing a CEL (Check engine light) every start, every time

My goal is to have all 3 of these items fixed in the next 30 days.

I bought a used OEM ABS model off a 07 wrecked G6, and went to swap it out today and was OVERWHELMED, I found Zero help from Chiltons
(as it says "See your dealer, under the ABS"), and found no help on the Malibu, Cobalt, HHR, and Aura...

I love GM vehicles, and am a great armchair mechanic when it comes to diagnosing, but not that great at actual mechanic work.

Has anyone had a coupe, and upgraded to a Convertible?

Nice guy, no attitude here, maybe some dry humor though-

·
Old far...er...tinkerer..
303 Posts
Hi there,

I picked up a great looking 2007 Pontiac G6 GT Couple 3.5L automatic in Transition Blue Metallic, it has high miles at just over 220k.
I got it from the original owner in Georgia, flew in and drove it home. Feel in love with the car in about 10 minutes, and by the time
I got home, I had a list of all the decencies and already wanted to upgrade to a 07+ G6 Convertible.

Top 3 issues on this coupe is:
Valve cover leak/seepage
ABS Module is bad (guessing, after 2 minutes ABS light comes on and chimes, but not the traction control)
Catalytic converter code P0420 is causing a CEL (Check engine light) every start, every time

My goal is to have all 3 of these items fixed in the next 30 days.

I bought a used OEM ABS model off a 07 wrecked G6, and went to swap it out today and was OVERWHELMED, I found Zero help from Chiltons
(as it says "See your dealer, under the ABS"), and found no help on the Malibu, Cobalt, HHR, and Aura...

I love GM vehicles, and am a great armchair mechanic when it comes to diagnosing, but not that great at actual mechanic work.

Has anyone had a coupe, and upgraded to a Convertible?

Nice guy, no attitude here, maybe some dry humor though-
Hi, Welcome.

I have a 2007 G6 with the 3.5L (LZ4), but it's not a GT. BTW, I thought the GT's had the 3.9 (LZ9) motor.

I live in Plano, so we're not too far apart :)

I can't help much with diagnosing the P0420 code, but I know you can buy aftermarket replacement cats that bolt on without welding. That said, it can a bear breaking loose some of the bolts.

Have you gotten any ABS codes? That will help, I think. Some GM models, such as the Impalas, are notorious for wire chafing in the front ABS sensors. That can cause the ABS light to come on, and/or cause the ABS system to kick in (with the audible brrr sound). I haven't had any issue with my G6 ABS, but I have had to replace several wires on my fleet of 3 Impalas .

I've done the valve covers on one of my 3.4L motors. It takes a while to clear everything out of the way, but, if I recall correctly, it wasn't particularly difficult. My take is the 3.5 LZ4 motor will be about the same level of difficulty, about 3/4 of a Saturday :)

It takes a full Saturday if you have too many beers or need to make too many trips to the parts store :)

HTH.

Doug

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thx

Thank you for the welcome-

*I wish I could edit previous post, it was supposed to say I made a list of deficiencies by the time I got home, although, there were some decencies too. I got over 550 miles

per tank from Atlanta to Dallas using 93 octane, which is so odd considering the tires were bald and in need of alignment, a bad Cat and O2 sensors, 75k since the last spark

plugs and plug wires, a and bad front shocks, and valve covers seeping motor oil.

I do NOT want to mess with a good thing. It gets about 22.5 city.

(Doug I am in North Frisco)

I think I have the LZ4 motor as well

I am definitely going aftermarket on the Cat, for $139 free shipping, no tax. Normally, I would stay stock 100%, but its just not feasible.

I put on the new ABS module today, only to have it activate my ABS AND TRACTION CONTROL immediately, it was a bad unit. I am sending it back.

However, after cleaning off my old one, and putting it back. The ABS light is off, and so is the traction control light. I only put on 5 miles, but its the longest

its gone without the light coming on, sooo strange.. Fingers crossed!!!!

Onto the catalytic converter, so I can get it to pass Inspection.

I do not have a GM OBII scanner, the only code that Orally pulled was the Cat P0420 code, but clearly there was a ABS code in there somewhere, that their cheap

scanner didn't pick up. I am taking it to GM next week to do 2 open recalls on it, and have them do some sleuthing for me, and getting a free 27 point inspection!

I am totally willing to commit an entire weekend to getting the valve covers done, are there any videos, or write ups out there, that I may be missing?

I really want to fix this one up, sell it on, and buy a g6 GT convertible, so I can roll the windows down in the back seat for the dogs-

Thank you for the guidance

·
2007 gt retractable
340 Posts
i just bought a 2007 g6 convertible just because the retractable top.if you read all the posts about the top stopping working you will stop wanting one.so far everything on my car works.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts