Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I have an aftermarket stereo in my G6, with the adapter for the readouts but the faceplate broke and the readout for my adapter is very dim so I can barely read it most days. Not to mention it won't display temperatures below 32°... I have a 2007 base sedan 2.5. What I was wondering, is if anyone has ever tried putting a newer model OEM stereo in an older G6? For example, putting a 2009 OEM stereo into a 2007. The connectors look the same on the back, and I would imagine the dimensions are the same. If anyone has tried this please let me know!! Thanks!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think I found my answer in another post. Apparently you can, but the stereo needs to be reprogramed?

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have a 2007, and the warranty paid for a stereo replacement, newer model looked the same except AUX input on newer, yay!
Anyway, when swapping stereos, programming required.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a 2007, and the warranty paid for a stereo replacement, newer model looked the same except AUX input on newer, yay!
Anyway, when swapping stereos, programming required.

Oh wow, lucky you! My warranty is far gone lol. That's all I want is an AUX port... I can use a bluetooth adapter and be good to go.

·
08 convertible
218 Posts
Not long ago I saw an outfit on eBay that refurbished your OEM radio and added the AUX jack. I don't have a link but if you spend a little time searching you may find it.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Not long ago I saw an outfit on eBay that refurbished your OEM radio and added the AUX jack. I don't have a link but if you spend a little time searching you may find it.
I seem to recall a post years back on refurbing your own radio for an AUX Jack. I was considering it for a while, but decided a little over my head, I'd rather by a salvage radio and pay the programming.
I got lucky when mine failed and got the upgraded replacement.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I took a slightly different approach to bluetooth. I have the XM module that I do not use, so I cut into the XM line out in the trunk and powered the bluetooth module from the Antenna power. I have to turn the volume up quite a bit (about 3/4 of max) but it does sound fine to me and I have no mess in the front of the car. Hope you find a solution that works for you.

·
Registered
44 Posts
You can replace the radio, but you will need the dealer to reprogram it to your car. There are several different types, and some caviots with them. 2005-2009.5 should look similar, with a base radio, single CD, DIC Radio/Single CD, and DIC Radio/6 CD. If you get a model from 2008-2009.5, it will have the factory AUX connector on it. 2009.5-2010 the Radio and climate control changed, along with the DIC. The DIC moved to the cluster. A retrofit has been done to older ones, but requires the correct steering wheel controls, Cluster, radio, and HVAC controls, plus running a wire or two I believe.

Best bet would be the 2008-2009.5 radio if you were planning to do it for best features.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts