Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No AC, temp gauge at 100 and fans at full speed

I replaced the temp sensor and pigtail, reset the code several times, it trips a 2008 g6 3.5 liter engine, code that says the engine is running under temp. The gauge and AC work perfectly when code is reset, and then after 2 engine cycles it trips the code again, i cant imagine it is the thermostat. Please help my 16 year old son get cooled off after work

·
Registered
413 Posts
Nobody can help?
No AC, temp gauge at 100 and fans at full speed

I replaced the temp sensor and pigtail, reset the code several times, it trips a 2008 g6 3.5 liter engine, code that says the engine is running under temp. The gauge and AC work perfectly when code is reset, and then after 2 engine cycles it trips the code again, i cant imagine it is the thermostat. Please help my 16 year old son get cooled off after work

Start IMAGINING IT ! It IS a STUCK OPEN THERMOSTAT!

·
Super Moderator
911 Posts
Another item to consider is the possibility of an air lock. A number of people were sure they had cleared it only to find out it was more stubborn to get all the air out than expected.
Another member suggested this

·
Registered
413 Posts
Ok, i changed the Stat last night, will see if it helps, the old one was NOT stuck open.
Your original posting matched EXACTLY the same symptoms that I had with mine a year ago, mine WAS a stuck open T-Stat. I also did some searches about it and all came back with a bad T-Stat.
Would be nice to have you report back that since you say you replaced it now, that the problem is corrected or not ... for the benefit of the many other 3.5 motored members that may be having the same situation.

·
Registered
413 Posts
My son drove it to work two days and everything was fine!!!! I still cant believe it was the Stat!!
The "symptoms" are triggered thru the ECM by "seeing" a low coolant temp. In laymans terms it is how the car's computer is programmed on what gets "affected" when it "sees" a fault as it compares it to other engine signals.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Just because it is shut when you removed it doesn't mean that it works properly. It could be opening as soon as it starts to warm up due to a weak spring.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, my son has driven the car for a week, no more problems!!!! I looked at the thermostat closer, there was a piece of an Oring stuck in the stat!!!! That is why it was taking longer to heat up. Not because the stat was totally stuck open, just that piece of rubber stuck in there letting coolant get by. Thx for all the help!!!!

·
Registered
413 Posts
Ok, my son has driven the car for a week, no more problems!!!! I looked at the thermostat closer, there was a piece of an Oring stuck in the stat!!!! That is why it was taking longer to heat up. Not because the stat was totally stuck open, just that piece of rubber stuck in there letting coolant get by. Thx for all the help!!!!
I had the EXACT SAME circumstance once I pulled out the old T-Stat and inspected it. Glad it is all working correctly again! :)
Our 08 model is now with a new owner, I just couldn't resist still posting up from my experiences with the G6. ; )

1 - 13 of 13 Posts