Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, new to the forum. I seem to be losing my brake lights after driving my car for a while. Little background, 2010 G6 2.4L. All stock just a little gas saver.

Anyways, after I drive my car for a while, my Service Traction and Service ESC lights come on, and then I lose my brake lights. It seems like it happens after I hit my brakes for a long slow stop, like getting off the highway. It generally only comes on when I am breaking and stays on until the car turns off. If I restart my car, my brake lights generally work again, until the service lights comes back on. It generally doesn’t happen the very first time I hit my brakes, but after I have been driving and braking for a while.

Any ideas on where to start? Sounds like a bad ground or something but I’m kind of stumped. Also when my brake lights stop working, if I hit my brakes, it will also kill my rear running lights, meaning it shows completely black. Then once I release my brakes the running lights will come back on.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yikes. I hope it isn't from the recall G6s had for corrosion on a plug to the BCM that causes a short. When operator applies brakes the power/ current draw causes other things to malfunction like cruise control and other and lights not working and stuff. There is quite a bit of info on this type of issue.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Sadly the recall is past date

???
Safety recalls don't expire.
I've had to try to track stuff for recalls back to the '90's.
Anyway the recall for brake, switch connector grease, etc isn't difficult to do on your own, and may cure your issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey guys. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Did a little YouTube searching and found that BCIM plug and often the just need a little dielectric grease. I popped mine off and it had none on it, and packed a little bit in there and haven’t had a problem since. Thanks a bunch glad it seems to be an easy fix so far

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Did a little YouTube searching and found that BCIM plug and often the just need a little dielectric grease. I popped mine off and it had none on it, and packed a little bit in there and haven’t had a problem since. Thanks a bunch glad it seems to be an easy fix so far
This sounds like exactly the same issue I'm having (2010 G6 sedan, 2.4L 4-cyl) - throwing me ESC and Traction service messages, cruise control disabled, all that.

Any chance you could point me to the video you found, or some other pertinent info about this issue?

·
Registered
385 Posts
GM Bulletin 13036 is where that comes from. Skip ahead to the BCM connector. Locate it, and install grease.
No guarantees, but from what I have seen over the years, it has cured quite a few intermittent ESC, ABS, TCS with other sometimes non&related faults.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
GM Bulletin 13036 is where that comes from. Skip ahead to the BCM connector. Locate it, and install grease.
No guarantees, but from what I have seen over the years, it has cured quite a few intermittent ESC, ABS, TCS with other sometimes non&related faults.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
Not long before you posted this I found that very bulletin, and a video that detailed what to do (though it was explicitly mentioned this would fix the brake light issue, the ESC/TC light issue is also resolved by this), and sure enough, it worked for me.

Edit: I disconnected the battery before doing this. As seen in that video, I checked both of the blue plastic pin connectors on the module, and found that the bottom one was bone dry, but the top one was gummed up with what looked like decade old dielectric grease. I hit both with CRC electronic contact cleaner (the female ends too) followed by compressed air to blow out any gunk and to dry them. Applied a good smear of fresh grease to both male ends (just enough to coat the interfacing surface of the connecter and fill the holes), reconnected them to the module, and the Service ESC/TC lights were gone! Made sure to test out some generous acceleration and braking, turned the wheels full lock both ways, and engaged cruise control multiple times - which was previously disabled by the service messages - and all was good. Glad I didn't have to get a whole new wheel hub/bearing assembly!

Thanks for the reply, though. If I hadn't miraculously found that video and bulletin ahead of time, your post surely would've lead me to it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts