Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright. I have been fighting this for 2 or 3 months. After driving I get a no start no crank and con not hear the fuel pump kick over. Few hours after sitting, tirn the key and I can hear the fuel pump prime up and bam, it cranks right up. Ive replaced battery, starter, fuses and relays. I can turn the key to crank and nothing happens. I have a manual start momentary relay I can use to crank while standing at the fuse box. I press it and the car will turn over but no start when the key will not spin the motor over. I do not have any codes. Any ideas ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
When your catalyic converter gets hot it makes your starter ground out. Wrap the converter with a heat resistant sheath or what not and it should reduce the heat outward .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That maybe the issue for the g6 gt v6 models, but the starter on the 2.4 LE9 is on the intake side of the engine and the cat is on the back side. But the oil pressure sensor was leaking oil onto the starter so just to be sure I replaced starter assembly and oil sensor to stop the leak. No change.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bumping this thread. Still continuing samething. Thinking about replacing the BCM. Could I use a used one of around the same year model and just see if it solves my issue or would unhooking mine cause any issues. You see what I'm trying to do lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Come on guys and gals
...... All the knowledge in this site and I need some of it. Battling this for a year now. I've replaced so much on this car over the time I've had it that I have a new g6 basically with the exception of it having 278,*** miles on it. Getting rid off it is not an option I'm willing to do bc I'm so knowledgeable in this era of gm's platform and the 4 cyl ecotecs engines. Anyone ????

·
Registered
110 Posts
Are you saying you have a no crank situation when the engine is hot ? If so , I say you have a problem with the starter or the starter relay . When it fails to crank swap the starter relay with another one , if still no crank look into the starter as the problem . You do have tons of miles on this car and that starter can't last forever .

·
Registered
706 Posts
You may also want to check the PCM is seeing the conditions required for the car to start. For example, the PCM needs to see a signal that the transmission is in park. Your scan tool can probably read this information.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are you saying you have a no crank situation when the engine is hot ? If so , I say you have a problem with the starter or the starter relay . When it fails to crank swap the starter relay with another one , if still no crank look into the starter as the problem . You do have tons of miles on this car and that starter can't last forever .
@INDY86. Yeah I'm not one to throw parts at problems but I did replace the starter. Ive swapped relays with new relays, same problem. Cranks first thing then has to in my opinion cool off before it will crank or start

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You may also want to check the PCM is seeing the conditions required for the car to start. For example, the PCM needs to see a signal that the transmission is in park. Your scan tool can probably read this information.
@boomer. Thanks for the reply. I have a ht200 scan tool. The only code I've had has been the P0l74 and thats always been a factor. But I did get a weird code that said I was getting either high or low voltage to tbe ignition switch the other day. Was going to pull the code when i got home. I ran the scan and it hasnt been back since. It's spent it's last 3 years up and down a dirt road.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any chance u were able to find a solution to this problem? Im having the exact same issue. I've had the fuel pump to prime once while it was "hot"? And it still wouldn't start with the key or secondary push button switch.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Could be a wiring issue somewhere. A wire may have rubbed through on something, and the heat expands things just enough to cause an issue. Tracking it down might be a bear unless you know what to look for and have wiring diagrams. Since you got the code for the ignition switch that would be a starting point. Give it a good visual inspection. Check if any of the wiring harness is rubbing on something it shouldn't.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts