Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I have noticed (usually in the mornings when I head to work), that over small bumps there is a small "thumping" noise coming from the front of the car. I am assuming that this is a suspension issue. Any insight from my fellow G6 owners? Thanks so much!

The car is a 2009 G6 Convertible with 27000 miles.

·
Registered
911 Posts
only in the cold and at first startup correct? you're not alone...i have the same problem and have forever been looking for a 100% fix. some have blamed polyurethane bushings, others tie rod ends, sway bar links, struts/strut mounts all with mixed results. if you find something let us know.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Every time I go over a carb too fast. or hit pretty much any crack or bump in the road... but then again my car has been lowered and has wider tires on it.

but yea ever since i got it. thumpin' and bumpin' everywhere I go. I think I'm just going to try and dynamat the floors up to the fire wall just to dampen the sound of it.

·
Fly like a G6
37 Posts
Has anyone tried replacing the stabilzer bar end links? I have known other GM vehicles to have this issue with fairly low mileage on them. I'm going to replace mine soon because I have this stupid clunking as well. I will be doing the bushings too.

The end link is part #32 in the diagram below. You can get them on Rockauto.com fairly priced.

Attachments

·
Registered
911 Posts
seems logical...i'm convinced that its somehwere in the strut assemble that bolts right onto it. sway bar bushings have been mentioned before as well...if it's not any inconvience to you try replacing one, test drive under the conditions which the knocking happens then replace the other if its not fixed? either way, definitely let us know how it goes!

·
Fly like a G6
37 Posts
I definitely will try that. I am one to make sure I know what the problem is so that if it ever happens again I know the fix. I will replace the bushings first. Then I will replace the end links afterwards. See my Trailblazer had a clunk very similar in noise to this one and it turned out to be the end links on it. I replaced them and used blue loctite. Haven't had a problem since then. Very common problem on GM vehicles.

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide.com App

·
Fly like a G6
37 Posts
It is definitely the sway bar end links...just like my Trailblazer I jacked the car up and removed the front tires only to find my end links rubber pieces have split into. All the grease has been worked out of the rubber and now its dry and causes the clunking/rattling noise I'm hearing. I will be replacing them soon and let you guys know for sure.

·
Fly like a G6
37 Posts
Did you ever get the chance to check to see if your sway bar end links are shot like mine?

·
Registered
911 Posts
no it didn't end up being as warm as i thought yesterday...i went out and tried looking behind the tire and feeling for it but you gotta take it off to thoroughly inspect. when i have some weather and time i'll be out there and will report back

·
Registered
911 Posts
i def don't have the tools or experience necessary to perform a swap...requires lowering the subframe (I believe?) so i'll have to take it somewhere if it does end up being the culprit

·
Fly like a G6
37 Posts
You shouldn't need more than a jack, some wrenches, jack stands, ratchet and sockets, and a tire tool. I will try and take pictures and put together a how-to.

·
Registered
911 Posts
well i have a haynes manual and it explained lowering the subframe and removing cat converters on v6 models...i'm assuming the cat removal had to do with lowering the subframe and not the actual swap of end links. don't know if the actual sway bar needs removing?

·
Fly like a G6
37 Posts
No that is utter rubbish...the end links are where you can access them easily by just jacking up the car and putting jack stands underneath it. The manual must be talking about the sway bar bushing replacement due to the clearance you have when replacing them. It's probably just a way of getting more clearance for the bushing bracket bolts to be removed.

I do all the work by observing things with my own eyes because I have found mistakes in those manuals where they mix up things sometimes. I promise you that you don't have to do what that manual says to replace the end links.

·
Registered
911 Posts
just checked those end links...no premature wear. howd swapping them out go for you? i haven't had cold enough weather to hear it lately but a nice 20-25F degree morning could take care of that. i checked other bushings and any rubber/polyurethane seals in suspension in the wheel well...didn't see much of anything.

·
Fly like a G6
37 Posts
Haven't done them yet. Had a party weekend lol. I think mine is two separate things the bushings and the links. I hear my noise no matter what temp it is. But the end links come in a kit that has the bushings in it so I am going to replace it all at once.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts