Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds hot to me. How's the coolant look? Is it dirty? Do either of the fans on the radiator turn on?
Is the front of the radiator clean? Even the thermostat could be an issue.
Car is a 2007 with only 11,000 miles.

Coolant looks clean and pink.

Haven't heard any radiator fans come on, at what temp are they supposed to come on??

Radiator front looks ok.

Don't know about the therm?

So what temp do these engines normally run at??

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
My 4 banger runs at about 190.
And I'm pretty sure my fan will kick on around 200 or 210, if your fans aren't running you may have a blown fuse or two or maybe a bad relay.
Do the fans at least start up with the AC on?

·
Premium Member
5,356 Posts
3.5 should run at a touch over 200.
I think mine is around 210. That is normal.

Actually if you get a cooler thermostat you can count on CEL's and
blowing out your cats as it changes quite a bit up.

IMHO....

·
Registered
290 Posts
my 08 runs around 210 - 220. It has since the day i bought it almost 2 years ago. its normal. if it starts to go over that 225 mark on the guage then i would be concerned.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
my 08 runs around 210 - 220. It has since the day i bought it almost 2 years ago. its normal. if it starts to go over that 225 mark on the guage then i would be concerned.
Ok.....mines about 220-225 even with the AC on with a 100 degree day so maybe it's ok.

I'd still like to see it run a little cooler though.

Maybe I'll try some "Engine Ice" or other coolant additive, hope it's ok with the Dexcool.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
200 - 210. I think the stat usually opens at 210. And be careful mixing stuff with dexcool. Sometimes it will start to gum up.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
200 - 210. I think the stat usually opens at 210. And be careful mixing stuff with dexcool. Sometimes it will start to gum up.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Changing out the Dexcool today for traditional green coolant.

I bought some "Water Wetter" made by REDLINE, friend swears it works great to lower your temps by about 10-15 degrees.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Switched mine out to green a while ago and now even with temps at 105 degrees outside I rarely go over 210
Yep......switched to green today and used a pint of "Water Wetter" by REDLINE (makers of REAL Full Synthetic oil, unlike other major brands that are dino oil based synthetics, but that's another thread)

"Water Wetter" is supposed to lower temps up to 20 degrees.
Anyway it's not hitting 225 anymore, looks like it's at about 210.

So either my Dexcool was weak at 7 years old but only 11,000 miles or the "Water Wetter" product works well......or a combination of both!

·
Premium Member
636 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
I got the same problem with my 3.9 engine, with an impressive 108 celcius (about 226 fahrenheit) before the fans start, which seems very high to me. On some cars (Volkswagen I think), one of the two fans start at 200 and if the engine reach 220 the other fan engage. Is that how it is supposed to works too on the 3.9 engine ?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts