Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering buying my mom's car from her. 2006 G6 GT convertible. 93k miles, she said "figure out what its worth and get back to me", so i figured id come here. interior is 8/10, exterior 6-7/10 (a few small knicks on the doors from *******s parking too close, and some running in the paint on the rear bumper. someone scraped the corner in a parking lot, body work was free from a professional friend who just did a sloppy job). I've never known it to have a problem, and my mom is the only owner. No top-malfunctions as far as her memory goes. There is a small exhaust leak, just causes it to make a blowing sound when rapidly accelerating. What should I come back with? Side note- I plan on making fun mods here and there, but nothing extensive planned. Probably chassis braces and a new exhaust right off, cold air intake later then whatever. At most I see it being something I take to the local track for fun. Thanks for the help.

·
Moderator Member Thingy
1,330 Posts
9000-ish?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
also, has anyone really gone the route of tuning suspension and such? this would be my main focus at first and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is this a big deal with these cars? I currently drive a 2003 altima with 173k, 2nd owner and ive only had one issue.

·
Moderator Member Thingy
1,330 Posts
That 100k myth is a joke to me. It's not some magical number. It's common sense that the more you drive a car, the greater a chance something will break down. There are cars that are basically lemons around 30k miles while some cars will go to 200k with barely any mechanical work. If your mom's G6 hasn't had any major problems, then I'm sure it will hold up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i did some searching but came up with nothing, is there any sort of preventative work i can do on the top?

·
Fried like a Cheese Stick
1,035 Posts
Well suspension stuff is a no go because the stock suspension is designed to accomodate the weight shift when the top is down. I've got a front strut tower brace but that's about all you can do.

As for preventative maintenance on the top, there are various products that have been recommended to keep the seals in good order. I just got some Einszett Gummi Pflege, which is a German product that BMW recoommends. Put it on yesterday but of course won't be able to give any sort of review until I've had it long-term.

Also recommended is to put the top down & up at least once a week (twice is better) during the winter so that the mechanisms stay in good order. Unfortunately I found out this advice in March of this year so 2 winters have gone by the with the top up all the time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts