Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 05 G6, and recently the front CAT broke apart. The inside honeycomb element became detached from the housing and started rattling around. I took it off, gutted the CAT, and re-installed it. Obviously, the CEL came on and I am 99.9% sure it is the reading from the dowstream O2 sensor. Rather than spend the $450 for a new CAT, I am looking to just bypass the O2 sensor so that I can not have the CEL light on anymore.

Has anyone had much luck with this? If so, where did you get your O2 simulator from? Or, is there another solution anyone would recommend?

Thanks in advance for any help that you can offer.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
34 views, and no suggestions?

I see people talking about tuners on here, would that be an option to clear the CEL? I'm not looking to increase performance, although better MPG's is always a plus.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
You can tune out the dtc so there's no check engine light. Not sure if it'll cause a problem with emissions tests though.
otherwise I found schematics for simulators and I've heard of people using spark plug extenders to push the sensor a bit out of the exhaust stream, I guess its enough to fool the PCM on some cars, not sure about the G6 though.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Yeah you can just use non foulers to raise it out of the exhaust stream like cruisin said. That should do the trick just fine, only do that to the post cat sensor not the pre cat one though.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Hey, just wanted to post an update for future use.

After getting the de-foulers (DORMAN part #42002), I drilled one of them out with a 1/2'' bit so that the sensor could fit inside of it. Instead of drilling out the entire hole, I only drilled enough to get the sensor to fit. I left the original hole intact, which is the size of the end of the chopsitck. My theory on that was if the hole was as small as possible, it would limit the amount of air going through the sensor anyways.

I did all of this of course after disconnecting the ground from the battery, whish reset the ECU. Have almost 1,000 miles on it now, and still no CEL.

Hopefully this helps someone else down the road.

2005 Pontiac G6 V6 (Base model 3500)

Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts