Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to the VIN on my 08, the engine I have in the vehicle is the wrong one. There are other differences I've noticed that don't add up to 08. What can I do to figure this out?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Perhaps if you told us just what motor IS under the hood, we could more readily help figure this out with you. The 3.5 is the most common motor for the GT line. but could have a 3.6. How long have you had this ride? the only physical GT denote on the body is the GT badge of the rear end...something easily added on by somebody.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Perhaps if you told us just what motor IS under the hood, we could more readily help figure this out with you. The 3.5 is the most common motor for the GT line. but could have a 3.6. How long have you had this ride? the only physical GT denote on the body is the GT badge of the rear end...something easily added on by somebody.
It appears to be a 3.5 however, the oil filter is in the back of the engine as opposed to the front.

·
Registered
74 Posts
It appears to be a 3.5 however, the oil filter is in the back of the engine as opposed to the front.
I'm relatively new to the GM family, been a MOPAR man for decades. What G6 do you have(coupe/sedan/ convert) and are you sure the filter is on the rear side(firewall) and not in front behind the radiator? APPEARS to be 3,5, does not the engine top cover have the motor size embossed on it or is the motor top cover missing?
How long have you had this car, possible motor swap due to originals failure???

·
Registered
42 Posts
How do you know the engine isn't the right one? What's the VIN? What are the other differences you don't think add up? The reason I ask is that the days of simple plug and play engines changes are long gone. Even engines of the same family have different electronics which often must be carried over from the donor car. The 3.5 and 3.9 pushrod V6's are of the same family and their oil filters are consistently mounted on all models. The 3.6 is a twin cam engine featured in the GTP models and is very different.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm relatively new to the GM family, been a MOPAR man for decades. What G6 do you have(coupe/sedan/ convert) and are you sure the filter is on the rear side(firewall) and not in front behind the radiator? APPEARS to be 3,5, does not the engine top cover have the motor size embossed on it or is the motor top cover missing?
How long have you had this car, possible motor swap due to originals failure???
I have, according to the VIN, an 08, g6, gt, coupe. Yes the top cover says 3.5. Had it since 14. It had 75,000 miles on it. Bought it from a gm dealer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How do you know the engine isn't the right one? What's the VIN? What are the other differences you don't think add up? The reason I ask is that the days of simple plug and play engines changes are long gone. Even engines of the same family have different electronics which often must be carried over from the donor car. The 3.5 and 3.9 pushrod V6's are of the same family and their oil filters are consistently mounted on all models. The 3.6 is a twin cam engine featured in the GTP models and is very different.
Checked the VIN with 2 different dealerships. Both show a 3.5 with oil filter in front. Also, research shows it is supposed to have electronic power steering. Mine doesn't. Strangely enough, I'm looking for a special o ring that does not show up in any picture using my VIN.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Then something isn't adding up or this is your first time to do an oil change on your own. The oil filter on my Sedan 3.5 is at the front lower side near the serpentine belt side (passengers side) of the car and engine mounted between the motor and radiator.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Checked the VIN with 2 different dealerships. Both show a 3.5 with oil filter in front. Also, research shows it is supposed to have electronic power steering. Mine doesn't. Strangely enough, I'm looking for a special o ring that does not show up in any picture using my VIN.
You are mixing motors up in your research...The 4 cyl. model has electric steering, the 3.5 and 3.6 use normal hydraulic pump power steering. The Oil filter for the 4 cyl. is on top (but under the top cover) and is a canister cartridge type. that would use "special "O" rings to use with the filter.

"Oddly enough" ... Just what are you trying to maintain/repair??

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Then something isn't adding up or this is your first time to do an oil change on your own. The oil filter on my Sedan 3.5 is at the front lower side near the serpentine belt side (passengers side) of the car and engine mounted between the motor and radiator.
That's what I've been saying. So did the dealership. This is not the correct engine. It also shows the coolant filler tube on the crossover pipe on the passenger side. Mine has no filler tube. Just fill the overflow resevoir.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You are mixing motors up in your research...The 4 cyl. model has electric steering, the 3.5 and 3.6 use normal hydraulic pump power steering. The Oil filter for the 4 cyl. is on top (but under the top cover) and is a canister cartridge type. that would use "special "O" rings to use with the filter.

"Oddly enough" ... Just what are you trying to maintain/repair??
On mine, there are 2 coolant tubes that bolt to or near the thermostat housing. Drawings only show one. I still need the other o ring.

·
Registered
74 Posts
You bought this thru a GM dealer 6 years ago and have been running and maintaining this for that long without having "identity" problems before???? AND if you say it "supposedly came from Texas"...Where is it NOW?

The only way left to identify the motor that you say is in your G6gt would be to locate the engine number stamped on the engine block. Since you say you can't identify it by other means...nobody here could tell you where that number would be located on what you have.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You bought this thru a GM dealer 6 years ago and have been running and maintaining this for that long without having "identity" problems before???? AND if you say it "supposedly came from Texas"...Where is it NOW?

The only way left to identify the motor that you say is in your G6gt would be to locate the engine number stamped on the engine block. Since you say you can't identify it by other means...nobody here could tell you where that number would be located on what you have.
I've had trouble getting the correct parts since I bought the car. I didn't put 2 and 2 together until I took the VIN to a dealership yesterday. I just checked the owners manual and it too shows a different motor. The car is now in missouri.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Have you ever bought an oil filter(that fits) for it? Could you possibly take the filter number for it and do a cross reference check on what applications that filter is used on???
Such a change in motors, particularly in a car purchased from a GM authorised Dealer is highly UNUSUAL and may even be in violation of CIVIL LAW in your area.
From my understanding O.E. motors are the 4 cyl and the 3.5 or 3.6 V6 motors in all production year G6 cars. IF the car does not have one of those, then SOMEBODY did an UNDOCUMENTED engine change. Perhaps if you removed the top cover and took and posted a pic of the motor, we might be able to help identify it with you.

·
Registered
42 Posts
From my understanding O.E. motors are the 4 cyl and the 3.5 or 3.6 V6 motors in all production year G6 cars. IF the car does not have one of those, then SOMEBODY did an UNDOCUMENTED engine change.
Don't forget the 3.9. It's a pushrod engine of the same family as the 3.5 and is found in the GTP convertibles ('06 only) and the "Sport Package" GT models ('07 on). It was optional on coupes and sedans too and those few with manual transmissions got the 3.9 also. The 3.6 is a very different bird (twin cam) from a different family.

Mark

·
Registered
208 Posts
Yeah, this should be interesting.
The transmission and steering rack are tight to the backside of the engine.
Not much room for what's there now.
3.9 only allows coolant fill from reservoir.
3.9 cars are equipped with dual outlet exhaust.
The elephant in the room: engine swaps just don't happen anymore like they used to. The 3.5 and 3.9 are related, after that, any engine swap will require custom mounts, exhaust, cooling, linkage, and likely the entire electrical package.
The cost and labor incurred for any benefit is incredibly lopsided.
Pics are probably best to help us help you identify the mill.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts