Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Domestic Noob
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey forum, I've floated around trying to find a topic that resembled my issue but havent run across it. I drive a 2010 3.5L v6 with 34,000 miles and hear a weird sound when braking until i come to a complete stop. The closest thing i can think of comparing the sound to is a twisting plastic water bottle. Weird, I know.. but I want to know if anyone has experienced this before. Could it be a suspension issue or solely the brakes? appreciate any help!

·
Domestic Noob
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The tires look to be very new condition. no popping during curves either. that was the first thing I took a look at also. And the other night after driving home, I did notice a "burnt" smell radiating from the wheel/brakes.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
I had to do a brake job at 29,500 miles. All of my pads front and rear were less than 3mm in braking material. I would guess you need a brake job. The pads have a little metal tab that is designed to scrape along the rotors and make a screeching noise to alert the driver that it's time for a brake job. If you ignore it then the pads will wear down more and eventually just scrape metal to metal and cause more damage.

I would simply try and take a good look, You should be able to see it through the wheels and see how close the tabs are to the rotors. Or you can just jack it up, remove the wheel, and really take a good look. Even pull the brakes off. Check the fronts and rears.

This sounds like it's the problem to me. It could be just one tab at one wheel scraping along as you stop, just slightly enough to sound like a plastic bottle being squeezed and twisted.

Since it only seems to happen while braking then I would just take a look and see what's going on down there.

·
Registered
166 Posts
well guys...I'm getting a weird noise coming from my brakes as well... Mostly the back ones. It like a click sound when I apply the brake, not always there but stopping quick and short. I am going to take a picture if my back rotors. Could it be cracked rotors?

I have changed my rotors+pads last summer, so I know there is plenty of pads left. Don't know if the rotors are the problem! URGH!!!

·
Varsity Squad
751 Posts
you got the brakes hot and have blued the rotors, have them resurfaced. if you take em off and take them somewhere to be done its like $20, if you have someone do it for you its like 70-150.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
From your videos it almost sounds like something is loose back there. Bouncing back and forth, have you tried jacking it up and just spinning the tire in the air. Or spinning the hub with the wheel off and check for noises and see what's what?

A brand new rotor can get blued. It all depends on hot you get the brakes, how hard you drive it and such.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I drive in a small city. I am not a heavy braker either.. Its odd that both sides have the same type of noise.

Iam going to jack up the car tomrrow and see whats going on.

the noise only comes when I am braking at short distance, in the video the car isn't rolling, it rolling and stopping

·
Registered
166 Posts
okay.. i opened up one side. I do not know if this makes any sense or wwould cause the problem. I found the caliper pins not to be easy going in and out. So I took them out and there was hardly any grease on it. So I greased it up and put it all back together. Another thing I noticed, was the pad on the caliper side had less wear than the outer pad. After putting it all back together, went for a test drive, didn't hear any noise on the brakes that I worked on. any ideas??

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
It's possible that due to the lack of grease on those caliper pins the caliper was hung up a bit, causing your pads to wear more on one side of the rotor then the other. By removing it and freeing everything up and re-greasing it you should have solved your problem.

Hopefully you did, it sounds like that could be it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
well finally got the problem fixed. Don't think it had to do with the caliper pins. But something else.

The parts guy gave me a weird set of rear brake pads. There are 4 raised dots on the inboard pad and 2 on the outboard part. Now the problem if you can see in the picture is... that the caliper piston is engraved in the metal backing of the pad. One of the raised dots were in between the "V" part of the piston. So the caliper piston was not really engaging or even working.

So anywy.. fixed it all up.. no noise.. I did re-grease all the pins, but one was really tough to get out. I dont understand why one caliper pin has a rubber boot on the end and the other doesn't.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I HAD THE EXACT SAME SOUND IN MY G6!!!
sounds like a metal coffee can with small pebbles in it?
and only when you come to stop?
YEP, SAME PROBLEM

it's the bearings and nothing else!!

there are only 3 things create noises when it comes to when the vehicle is moving:
1.tires
2.brakes
3.bearings

1. give the tires a visual inspection, that's pretty much all you can do without turning any wrenches
2. take the brakes off, lube every moving piece, inspect calipers, pins, brake pads, rotors, etc.
3. if you're mechanically inclined, see these links
http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/GM-Wheel-Bearing-Hub-Assembly-Replacement/index.html
http://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9780

piece of cake!

·
Registered
166 Posts
I HAD THE EXACT SAME SOUND IN MY G6!!!
sounds like a metal coffee can with small pebbles in it?
and only when you come to stop?
YEP, SAME PROBLEM

it's the bearings and nothing else!!

there are only 3 things create noises when it comes to when the vehicle is moving:
1.tires
2.brakes
3.bearings

1. give the tires a visual inspection, that's pretty much all you can do without turning any wrenches
2. take the brakes off, lube every moving piece, inspect calipers, pins, brake pads, rotors, etc.
3. if you're mechanically inclined, see these links
http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/GM-Wheel-Bearing-Hub-Assembly-Replacement/index.html
http://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9780

piece of cake!
Actually no it's not like pebbles in a coffee can. It only happened at slow speeds, when I stop suddenly and let go (like rolling stop but stopping agressively). Only one tick whenever I brake. But I managed to find the problem. Which I stated in the post above yours. Thanks to all the peeps that posted.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Glad to hear you got it resolved!
BTW if you hear a high pitched squeaking from the rear end as you go over bumps... it's the little clips that hold the brake cable one each side. A little grease and that'll be gone!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts