Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There is a TSB (10183) that will replace a faulty electric power steering assist up to 100,000 miles.

here's the official Doc / Letter to owners:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/docservlet/Artemis/Public/TSBs/2010/CSC-10033624-5786.pdf

Not technically a "recall" -- but its a coverage adjustment

Summary:

Make : PONTIAC Model : G6 Year : 2006
Manufacturer : GENERAL MOTORS CORP.
Service Bulletin Number : SB-10183 Date of Bulletin : JUL 01, 2010
NHTSA Item Number : 10033624
Component : STEERING:ELECTRIC POWER ASSIST SYSTEM
Summary :
SATURN/PONTIAC/CHEVROLET: SPECIAL COVERAGE ADJUSTMENT-POWER STEERING ASSIST. SOME VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH ELECTRIC POWER STEERING MAY EXPERIENCE A LOSS OF POWER STEERING ASSIST CAUSED BY ELECTRICAL INPUT SIGNALS WITHIN THE STEERING COLUMN ASSEMBLY

You can search here for TSBS on your vehicle:
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/tsbs/

You can search here for RECALLS on your vehicle:
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls/recallsearch.cfm

·
Da.v3
597 Posts
seems sketchy they say it only happens to some people with these cars and models.

no reason for it? just hit and miss? they have no idea lol

·
Registered
21 Posts
There is a TSB (10183) that will replace a faulty electric power steering assist up to 100,000 miles.

here's the official Doc / Letter to owners:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/docservlet/Artemis/Public/TSBs/2010/CSC-10033624-5786.pdf

Not technically a "recall" -- but its an coverage adjustment

Summary:

Make : PONTIAC Model : G6 Year : 2006
Manufacturer : GENERAL MOTORS CORP.
Service Bulletin Number : SB-10183 Date of Bulletin : JUL 01, 2010
NHTSA Item Number : 10033624
Component : STEERING:ELECTRIC POWER ASSIST SYSTEM
Summary :
SATURN/PONTIAC/CHEVROLET: SPECIAL COVERAGE ADJUSTMENT-POWER STEERING ASSIST. SOME VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH ELECTRIC POWER STEERING MAY EXPERIENCE A LOSS OF POWER STEERING ASSIST CAUSED BY ELECTRICAL INPUT SIGNALS WITHIN THE STEERING COLUMN ASSEMBLY

You can search here for TSBS on your vehicle:
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/tsbs/

You can search here for RECALLS on your vehicle:
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls/recallsearch.cfm
THANK YOU for this information! I just replaced the electric power steering assist motor two weeks ago in our G6. After five days of persistant phone calls to GM, they replaced the motor for labor only charge at $225.
This after insisting there was not a problem with 2006 G6 electric power steering assist motors.
Now I have to find out how many hoops to jump through to get the refund form in my hands.

·
Registered
21 Posts
seems sketchy they say it only happens to some people with these cars and models.

no reason for it? just hit and miss? they have no idea lol
Dave, it's only those with electric power steering assist. 2005 G6 and Cobalt with same problem were already recalled. Check out NHTSA website for a LONG list of people with same problem on 2006 G6. But until NHTSA gets enough reports, no recall will happen.

·
Registered
21 Posts
THANK YOU for this information! I just replaced the electric power steering assist motor two weeks ago in our G6. After five days of persistant phone calls to GM, they replaced the motor for labor only charge at $225.
This after insisting there was not a problem with 2006 G6 electric power steering assist motors.
Now I have to find out how many hoops to jump through to get the refund form in my hands.
I should have checked the date of this TSB before rejoicing. This TSB applies to 2005 models and VERY few 2006 model G6's. Determined by VIN. Mine is not part of this TSB. GM has confirmed I am not covered; even though I have the exact problem described in TSB.

·
Registered
1 Posts
G6 Power Steering Issue

Thank you for posting the G6 "recall" document. I had no idea there was a problem since I am the 2nd owner of the car. My car was covered and is currently being fixed at no cost. I contacted the 1-800 number provided on the document and they contacted my local dealer for me to set up the appt.

I thought it would be difficult since Pontiac is defunct, but went off without a hitch.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just stopped by the dealer and showed them the bulletin. They showed me the vin # affected which stop at X64269755 mine is X64292275 so they tell me mine shouldn't have the same problem. I called GM and they are telling me the same thing. They also said if I pay $90 they will check my car and if the "exact" same problem is found they might be able to help me out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have taken my car in twice now. both times they say the cannot replicate the problem and will not fix my car. so yestarday I drove it over there with out power steering and the service person acknowledged that there was no PS. so this moring they call and say sir if we can't duplicate the problem. then it will be 95 dollars.

mine only happens when the car and temp out side are hot.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i had this happen in the fall and mine was covered no problem. it only did it once but since my wife drives the car i took it in right away and they verified my VIN was in the range and took a day or two and it was done with no cost to me.

I read somewhere (and i could be wrong) that they can scan the computer to see if there are any stored codes relating to the steering cutting out?? Not sure if that's accurate or not though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well im having this same issue, except my steering wheel will lock up and occasionally randomly jerk while driving before my display screen "chimes" and says power steering off. Trying to get it replaced, but of course as my VIN# is not in the range I am getting the run around. I dont know how they can say only a certain range of VIN#'s should be affected and get the replacement while there are many of us outside of that range with the exact same issues. And mine is the Electric Power Steering Assist or w/e, getting fairly frustrating. Hopefully I can get it replaced here soon free of cost to me, otherwise im going to have to bite the bullet and pay for it and fight for reimbursement....

·
Registered
27 Posts
So let me get this straight, if your VIN # is in a certain range and if you have <100k miles then they will fix your car free? I found the TSB above, but it sounds like there is no official recall so if you have >100k miles you are SOL? My wife's g6 just had the power steering dash light and info display warning turn on, but so far it seems the power steering is working. I need to get this fixed asap as I can't have her driving our infant daughter in this car with any risks.

Can anyone that has had the repair done themselves at a GM dealership give an estimate of what they paid to have it fixed properly?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Finally they are replacing the power steering assist motor in my G6!

I purchased the car in January used 08 convertable. I love the car but have had a few problems. The biggest was the power steering wheel would stop working any time I hit a puddle of water. Brought the car in 3 time for same issue. Today I get a call stating the car is ready to be picked up and they couldn't find anything wrong with the power steering. I said "wait there is a bulletin stating a problem with the motor. The guy didn't know which one, I found it here,(THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH) called him back, gave him the number. He found it, put me on hold, returned and said he will order the part and replace the motor and let me know when I can pick up the car.:)

It is under warrenty so I do not have to pay a dime!:banana:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Does the TSB for this cover the replacement of the EPS motor assembly or just the torque sensor? Need to take my wifes car in for this issue and I wanted to know what to expect.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Never had it replaced they said I do not have a power assist motor

In September they were going to replace the power assist motor, only to tell me the next day, I don't have one and can't figure out what the problem is. I mentioned this has now fallen under the lemon law since they have not repaired the problem. I really want to report this.

So here I am 2 months later, Rained pretty heavily last night. I go through a little puddle, my battery light goes on and my dash chimes 3 x's and no power steering. Mind you I was driving on Route 1 in Edison New Jersey, not exactly the place I want to lose power steering.

I was at the dealer 3 weeks ago complaining still have the problem. Since my mfg warrenty is up they said I have to wait until one of their own loner cars is available. Needless to say, I never received the call. I am going there on Friday, enough is enough.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We had this steering problem and I found this web page. I called the GM phone number listed in the notice referenced at the start of this thread and spoke to a represenative about TSB10183. She asked for my VIN and car mileage, explained that my car might qualify if a GM Authorized dealer could confirm the error code in the car's computer. I took the car to a nearby GM dealer I had identified to the agent. I took a printed copy of the TSB to the repair shop which the service rep appreciated. The GM rep called the dealer to alert them I would be coming in. The dealer ran a diagnostic, got the required error code out of the car's computer. They had a new steering column unit in their parts inventory and the car was repaired by the end of the next workday. Everyone involved was professional and the process showed that GM makes thing right if it's their fault. I don't know why others on this thread express such negative comments as my experience just now was text book perfect!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just wanted to throw this out there because I fought this problem for some time. I will not get into all of the issues but it mainly occured under a load, some sort of accelleration. That said I had the dealership replace the part in this letter and still no luck. After further trouble shooting, it was the dang alternator not providing enough power to the electronic steering.

Hope everyone gets there stuff resolved.

-Grant

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just wanted to throw this out there because I fought this problem for some time. I will not get into all of the issues but it mainly occured under a load, some sort of accelleration. That said I had the dealership replace the part in this letter and still no luck. After further trouble shooting, it was the dang alternator not providing enough power to the electronic steering.

Hope everyone gets there stuff resolved.

-Grant

Having this problem also. Mine mainly does this when accelerating. How would I tell it it is the alternator and not the steering?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Mine checked out fine at NAPA both on and off the vehicle. This is not a 100% check, but you could setup a voltage tester while driving to see if it maintains proper voltages while driving. I just went with a gut feeling because I had taken it out of the car while doing some work. Also I was noticing lights dimming at night during acceleration.

It is not real expensive or hard to replace. Just hope this is more of a common problem instead of the steering column itself.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts