Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've only got about 1200 miles on the G6, but a quick calculation puts this oil change at about 8-9000 miles. This kind of freaks me out, being used to 3000 service intervals. What do you all think about that many miles between oil changes?? Is anyone using synthetic oil?

Paul

·
Registered
197 Posts
Definately do not use the factory fill until the oil monitor says its time to change. A lot of people, including myself, suggest you change your oil after the first 500-1000 miles. I think it was stated in a previous post that the oil monitor will work best with full synthetic oil. Personally, I use Mobil1 Extended Performance (garaunteed for 15k miles, although I'll only put about 7k on it with my Focus). You can find it at WallyWorld (Walmart) for around $21.00.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Keep in mind if you start using synthetic oil that the Oil Life Monitoring system will not take that into account. Its calculations are based on the type of oil recommended for it and GM only has a few engines that start with synthetic from factory.

·
Registered
235 Posts
PCB said:
Hi all,

I've only got about 1200 miles on the G6, but a quick calculation puts this oil change at about 8-9000 miles. This kind of freaks me out, being used to 3000 service intervals. What do you all think about that many miles between oil changes?? Is anyone using synthetic oil?

Paul
I bought mine with 64 miles on it. At a little over 3000 miles the monitor stated it was time to change the oil. If you press a few buttons it should tell you what your oil life is.

·
Registered
169 Posts
e2helper said:
Keep in mind if you start using synthetic oil that the Oil Life Monitoring system will not take that into account. Its calculations are based on the type of oil recommended for it and GM only has a few engines that start with synthetic from factory.
The oil life monitor is indeed set based on the type of oil recommended for the car. However, per the manual, for the G6 this oil must meet the GM6094 specification.

They don't tell you this, but the only oils that currently meet that spec. reliably are synthetics like Mobil 1.

If you're going to use the OLM to signal your changes, use synthetic oil - if for no other reason than to eliminate an excuse for GM to deny an engine related warranty claim for not using the "right" oil.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I never even noticed that there was a different spec "GM6094" for this oil. I guess I should re-read the manual.

Paul

·
Registered
197 Posts
And just to note, I've never found any oil to actually have the GM spec on the bottle, usually you'll have to research it, if you want to get into it.

Like otcpharm and myself suggest, if you use a reputable brand of synthetic, you shouldn't have any problems.

·
Registered
169 Posts
MHadden said:
And just to note, I've never found any oil to actually have the GM spec on the bottle, usually you'll have to research it, if you want to get into it.
Mobil 1, 5W-30, with the silver cap, states on the back label that it meets GM6904 specifications. (not the "extended interval" oil, the original Mobil 1)

So far, that's the only one I've found readily available that plainly states that it does.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Feel free to change the oil every 3000 miles if you are using regular oil.

If you're using synthetic, use the oil life monitor. Changing it any sooner is a waste of time and money.

Of course, the dealer would LOVE to have you come in for a $20 oil change every 3000 miles. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
235 Posts
Wouldn't the dealership use the GM spec oil or am I just being naive to think they would do that? I didn't really pay that much attention to what oil they used when I got my first oil change, I guess next time I should. I know my husband uses synthetic oil and I've never really asked why, I just figured he used it because it costs more. Maybe he really does have a theory behind using this oil. He's got an 04 Silverado.

·
Registered
11 Posts
otcpharm said:
Mobil 1, 5W-30, with the silver cap, states on the back label that it meets GM6904 specifications. (not the "extended interval" oil, the original Mobil 1)

So far, that's the only one I've found readily available that plainly states that it does.

I believe Havaline also has that spec on thier oil.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Robyn P said:
Wouldn't the dealership use the GM spec oil or am I just being naive to think they would do that? I didn't really pay that much attention to what oil they used when I got my first oil change, I guess next time I should. I know my husband uses synthetic oil and I've never really asked why, I just figured he used it because it costs more. Maybe he really does have a theory behind using this oil. He's got an 04 Silverado.
The dealer "should" use the right oil, but they'll more than likely just grab whatever 5W-30 is sitting on the shelf rather than have to keep track of which vehicle requires which type of oil. Regular Dino-lube will work for 3000-4000 miles, but GM will run you through the wringer if you need engine-related warranty work.

Besides, they'd have a heck of a time making money on $20 oil changes using synthetic - that stuff isn't cheap.

Synthetic oil is it, if you're willing to pay a little more up front for the extra miles you can put on it and the extra protection it offers. After switching to synthetic a couple of years ago in one of my bikes, the positive results were enough to make me start pouring it in all my vehicles.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Now that I've read the manual, it's funny how they mention in it that under the best conditions, the oil can be changed once every year. That 3 months/3,000 miles is a nice little gimmick eh.

And how could GM void your warranty for not using the 'right' oil? How could they possibly know which oil you used? And would they go through that much hassle to find out?

Mike

·
Registered
169 Posts
GTPGuy82 said:
Now that I've read the manual, it's funny how they mention in it that under the best conditions, the oil can be changed once every year. That 3 months/3,000 miles is a nice little gimmick eh.

And how could GM void your warranty for not using the 'right' oil? How could they possibly know which oil you used? And would they go through that much hassle to find out?

Mike
If you're changing your own oil, and you have an engine failure, they will demand to see your maintenance records. These would include the receipts for the oil you purchased for the oil changes, showing dates of purchase and type of oil - if you don't have those then as far as they are concerned you didn't change the oil at all. They can guesstimate the mileage for the changes based on the receipt dates, and will know whether or not the oil you used meets the required spec.

If the dealer is doing it, and they use oil that doesn't meet the required spec., then the only real defense they would have is that YOU had the responsibility to specify the "right" oil. (of course that's BS and would never stand up if pressed)

Advice: if you change your own, mark the date, the mileage, and the % remaining on the oil life monitor in the maintenance section of the book, and keep all receipts until the warranty expires.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Blackrider said:
I would drive around for 6 months befor i would switch to Synthetic.
20 years ago, this was accepted and would likely have been good advice. Engines no longer need a waiting period to switch over - vast improvements in engine assembly techniques have seen to that.

A number of manufacturers (GM, Mercedes, BMW...) have models that come from the factory with synthetic.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts