Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
I dont think it matters which way you go except your paying $70 for a contraption to suck out your old oil when you could just unscrew the oil plug and drain it. Save your money and use it to buy an oil pan from walmart that costs only $6. They even have some with caps so you can take it to the trasfer station(dump).

As far as the filter K&N is probably the best filter out there, but its spendy, the only other filter i know of that is really good is the NAPA Gold. Costs around $8. Dont get the pro-select or the cheap napa filter. And one filter to stay away from is FRAM, those are bad news based on what ive heard.

Also, dont use ramps unless it has a really long incline because the G6's are low profile. Use a 3-ton jack and support it with two 3-ton jack stands so you wont get crushed if your jack fails. Remeber that the G6 sedan weighs 3,600 pounds, i have a 2-ton jack that struggles to hold the car up so i had to buy the 3 ton jack. Works like a champ.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Does anyone have issues with using a hand pump oil extractor (http://www.autosportcatalog.com/index.cfm?fa=p&pid=4860) instead of draining directly from the pan?

Is there an oil / oil filter that is best for G6 3.5L engine?

Any other tips / tricks associated with this car for this 'simple' task?
The G6 3.5L, I think, is one of the easiest vehicles to change the oil on! It's straight forward. All you need is a good grip to get the old filter off (a filter wrench may be necessary), and a 13mm wrench or ratchet socket to get the oil plug out.

For about $85 CAN$, I built my own ramps. The ones in stores are 4-5" tall and cost $60+ locally. It took me an hour to cut the boards and bolt them together. They hold my heavy Dodge Durango without any issues. I'd rate them at 10K for the pair, easy. I also have three vehicles that I service, so they've paid for themselves in the first few months I've owned them! You can see them in this thread, with the specs:
http://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4406

1 - 4 of 4 Posts