Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My oil change is about to come up soon in a couple hundred more miles. I was wondering if anyone would suggest a certain oil brand or if I should go synthetic? Also if their are certain procedures I should follow when doing my oil change, I haven't looked underneath the engine yet so I still don't know where the filter is at.

·
Gpof59
46 Posts
oil change

oil filter is on passenger side. On my G6 3.5 6 cyl. I use a 15mm wrench or socket for the drain plug. Oil I use is Kendall Titanium synthetic blend and a Pure One oil filter. Also I fill the new filter about 3/4 full since it taken off and put on vertically.(You will see what I mean when you take it off). Easiest car I've owned to change oil. AND AlWAYS COAT THE RUBBER GASKETon the filter. Good Luck and enjoy your ride. (Sorry about the misquote on the location of oil filter, it is the passenger side)

·
Registered
911 Posts
I could've sworn the filter was on the passenger side on my 3.5l but i could be mistaken, you can't miss it once you get under there. i've been using mobil1 synthetic and not that i notice any difference but i haven't had problems with the engine yet!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a lot guys. Im a honda guy but owning a g6 as a dd is very reliable and im happy with it. Ive used mobile1 on all my civics but id have to give that kendall a try.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
I've been running with Mobil Clean Conventional oil and a Mobie oil filter. I'll be switching to Mobil 1 Full Synthetic when I add more power to the motor.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My car has 47xxxK and im about to do the oil change at 48,350. Should i go full synthetic cuz of the mileage or stay conventional? I would always go synthetic on my hondas because of the motor built i would do on them and the running i would do on the as well. Also whats a good cheap way to add hp to a G6? and be able to feel a difference. I have the 6cyl.

·
Registered
470 Posts
My car has 47xxxK and im about to do the oil change at 48,350. Should i go full synthetic cuz of the mileage or stay conventional? I would always go synthetic on my hondas because of the motor built i would do on them and the running i would do on the as well. Also whats a good cheap way to add hp to a G6? and be able to feel a difference. I have the 6cyl.
You answered your own question. Going will a full synthetic oil, regardless of mileage is a good way to gain performance. Synthetic oil 'frees up' lost HP to friction. You won't feel it, but this is why synthetics claim "better mileage". You might not gain better mileage depending on your driving style but the engine will thank you for it nonetheless. There aren't really any 'cheap' mods that net good HP to $ ratios in regard to performance. A good drop in air filter would be one of the lesser cost mods. Better spark plugs may help, but I prefer to stick to the OEM plugs in these older 2valve engines.

I vote Amsoil for synthetic, Mobil1 is #2. I change my oil once a year for all my vehicles to simplify things and save on costs. The Asmoil 5W30 is good for up to 25K miles, but my personal vehicles are lucky to see 12-15K a year so it's well within reason and I still save over $50 per vehicle each year.

In my service vans, I also run Amsoil. Astro 4.3L uses 5W30 and goes 20K miles between changes. My 2006 3500 Sprinter 2.7 TD uses Amsoil HD diesel 5W30 and goes 30K miles between oil changes. I have a 2011 2500 Sprinter 3.0 diesel that isn't yet due for its first service, but I have Amsoil oil set aside for it. I don't regularly drive the vans, but they average 12-15L/100km in mixed driving which is better than they got using conventional oil, so for me it's a win-win-win situation.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've never heard of Amsoil. I just went on their website and it's $10.15 for a qt. lol I'd have to drive a pretty far distance to buy it, but i read the information on the oil itself and its def something i would invest in my vehicle. I barely bought the G6 December 15 2011, and i'm barely about to hit my 3,000 mile range. Carmax never really told me when they did the oil change, but i recorded the mileage from when i left the dealer. I just drive to work which is not even 2miles away, school is about 3 miles, and gym is about 10 miles or less. But i def love to take care of my cars. Thanks a lot for the info you gave me, i really appreciate it. I'll be doing the oil change this week actually.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Lately I've been using Pennzoil Platinum Ultra full synthetic and its running great for me.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That thread did help a lot. The only reason why i bought the G6 was to use it as a daily driver, for school and work, and to just get around, also because i want to build my credit and i think i got the car for a very reasonable price, and good monthly payments. And i want it to last me til it wont run anymore. Later in the future i plan to get me something nice but for now it will save me money and time. Plus i take really good care of my cars. But oil changes are a big thing to keep a good motor running for a long time, along with its regular tune ups and all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts