Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
169 Posts
Just wait until the system tells you to change it...no hurry.

Shortest interval I've gotten is 7500 miles (about 12,000km), longest is almost 9000 (about 14,500km).

Oil doesn't look or smell any worse than the stuff I drain from my other vehicles at shorter intervals.

But like GTPGuy82 says - no matter the distance, they still only give it a one year (about 365 days ;) ) lifespan in the book.

· Registered
169 Posts
e2helper said:
As you probably know the algorithm for oil life is not calibrated for synthetic. It is only done that way on vehicles that are recommended/required to use synthetic.
The system is set for any oil that meets the GM spec. for this vehicle.

Synthetic oil meets (exceeds) the spec. so the system is indeed calibrated for synthetics.

· Registered
169 Posts
G6~Mike said:
What he is saying is that the computer has no idea what type of oil you pour in. The OLS will read the same whether you use regular oil or synthetic. My guess is that the OLS reading only based on speed, temp, engine rpm, and duration.
That may have been the intended message, but the literal message was that the OLS isn't set up to "work properly" with synthetic oil. I was only responding to the latter - I agree with the former.

I completely agree with your assessment of the OLS's inputs - very commonsense. GM implies these parameters by referring vaguely to our driving characteristics.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.