Pontiac G6 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

· Registered
169 Posts
e2helper said:
As you probably know the algorithm for oil life is not calibrated for synthetic. It is only done that way on vehicles that are recommended/required to use synthetic.
The system is set for any oil that meets the GM spec. for this vehicle.

Synthetic oil meets (exceeds) the spec. so the system is indeed calibrated for synthetics.

· Registered
197 Posts
otcpharm said:
The system is set for any oil that meets the GM spec. for this vehicle.

Synthetic oil meets (exceeds) the spec. so the system is indeed calibrated for synthetics.
What he is saying is that the computer has no idea what type of oil you pour in. The OLS will read the same whether you use regular oil or synthetic. My guess is that the OLS reading only based on speed, temp, engine rpm, and duration.

· Registered
169 Posts
G6~Mike said:
What he is saying is that the computer has no idea what type of oil you pour in. The OLS will read the same whether you use regular oil or synthetic. My guess is that the OLS reading only based on speed, temp, engine rpm, and duration.
That may have been the intended message, but the literal message was that the OLS isn't set up to "work properly" with synthetic oil. I was only responding to the latter - I agree with the former.

I completely agree with your assessment of the OLS's inputs - very commonsense. GM implies these parameters by referring vaguely to our driving characteristics.

· Registered
10 Posts
Now you have me concerned! I have 43% left and over 8.000 miles since the last oil change. What is the problem with the Diver Inormation Center? I have also complained about the built in outside temp readings and the gas economy gauge being incorrect, and not just a little. (05 GT)

· Registered
197 Posts
DocWyeth said:
Now you have me concerned! I have 43% left and over 8.000 miles since the last oil change. What is the problem with the Diver Inormation Center? I have also complained about the built in outside temp readings and the gas economy gauge being incorrect, and not just a little. (05 GT)
I would have changed my oil twice already in 8000 miles.
The DIC OLS is just a reminder for those who don't even know the car takes oil and will warn them eventually that the car needs service.
I had a friend that drove his lease 26k miles before the first oil change. :crazy: I would not want to be the sucker to purchase that after he turned it in.

What problem are you having with the outdoor temp? It will always read wrong when the car is sitting, especially in the summer.

· Registered
107 Posts
DocWyeth said:
I have also complained about the built in outside temp readings and the gas economy gauge being incorrect, and not just a little. (05 GT)
This happens with everyone. My boss says it happens on his Saab too. Its especially inaccurate right when it's been sitting, I couldn't tell you why.

I think the amount of sunlight shining on it is a factor. If I'm starting up in the garage it seems normal. One day after having it sit in a parking lot for several hours it told me it was like 94 degrees outside right when I started up. In reality it was really like in the 40s.

· Registered
10 Posts
I know about it sitting in the sun. Any thermometer will do that. The eng. say that within 5 min or a few miles it should be accurate. I have documented mine being off by 5 degrees after 20 min of driving. It happens more often in the sun than cloudy days. They replaced the sensor once. What gripes me is I drive by the dealership every day. I have pulled in to show them and they agree that it is wrong but can't work on it right then and there and then when I take it back they play stupid and say well today it tested ok.

As for the oil sensor, TLS was correct. Read the manual. I just noticed that the gas milage really dropped off so I am going to change it anyway. Not sure if the milage it oil related or gas reformulation related.

Lucius said:
This happens with everyone. My boss says it happens on his Saab too. Its especially inaccurate right when it's been sitting, I couldn't tell you why.

I think the amount of sunlight shining on it is a factor. If I'm starting up in the garage it seems normal. One day after having it sit in a parking lot for several hours it told me it was like 94 degrees outside right when I started up. In reality it was really like in the 40s.

· Registered
197 Posts
TLS2000 said:
Wrong mate. The OLS is there to prevent people from wasting oil by changing it prematurely.
There will still probably be 85% of us here who will change their oil at certain intervals regardless of what the OLS says. I would never depend on the OLS. Look at the DocWyeth's situation for example. 8000 miles and still showing another 43% before the oil should be changed. Lets say at 14,000 miles it tells him to change his oil. IMHO, that is way to long to go between oil changes.

We use barrels of oil each year on our farm so changing the oil a little early doesn't mean much to me. I would rather extend the life of the engine than the life of the oil.

· Registered
197 Posts
DocWyeth said:
I know about it sitting in the sun. Any thermometer will do that. The eng. say that within 5 min or a few miles it should be accurate. I have documented mine being off by 5 degrees after 20 min of driving. It happens more often in the sun than cloudy days. They replaced the sensor once. What gripes me is I drive by the dealership every day. I have pulled in to show them and they agree that it is wrong but can't work on it right then and there and then when I take it back they play stupid and say well today it tested ok.

As for the oil sensor, TLS was correct. Read the manual. I just noticed that the gas milage really dropped off so I am going to change it anyway. Not sure if the milage it oil related or gas reformulation related.
5 degree's hotter or colder than ambient?

· Registered
131 Posts
G6~Mike said:
There will still probably be 85% of us here who will change their oil at certain intervals regardless of what the OLS says. I would never depend on the OLS. Look at the DocWyeth's situation for example. 8000 miles and still showing another 43% before the oil should be changed. Lets say at 14,000 miles it tells him to change his oil. IMHO, that is way to long to go between oil changes.

We use barrels of oil each year on our farm so changing the oil a little early doesn't mean much to me. I would rather extend the life of the engine than the life of the oil.
There are a bunch of guys with LS1 engines who ran Synthetic for given intervals.

Anyway, they discovered through Oil Analysis that the LS1 can handle oil changes every 15,000 miles running on Mobil 1.

The 3000mi/5000km oil change interval is nothing but old habits dying hard.

· Registered
131 Posts
G6~Mike said:
That may be the case with synthetic oil but the poster above doesn't appear to be running that.
The point that I was trying to make is this:

GM knows cars. They pour BILLIONS of dollars each year into vehicle research. They designed the OLS based on this research. It is meant to stop you from changing your oil when you don't need to. Their goal is to reduce the amount of oil that gets wasted every year.

If the OLS sensor isn't telling you to change your oil, then there is no reason to change your oil. 3000mi/5000km intervals are too frequent and are nothing but a waste of oil.

Yes the Synthetic in those tests was run for 15,000mi. There were some LS1's that were run up to 25,000mi (!!!) with only slightly more contamination in the oil than there was at 15,000mi. They recommended 15,000mi oil changes because they didn't think they'd be able to convince people to run with 20,000mi oil changes. Even regular dino oil will last a lot longer then 3000mi. Some manufacturers recommend changing the oil on their cars at 12,000mi intervals (with dino oil).

21 - 40 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.