Pontiac G6 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

· Lifetime Member
3,805 Posts
When does motor oil break down? At what point does this happen? (not looking for an answer):rolleyes:
As someone stated earlier, automotive corperations spend a lot of time and money researching this question. I believe the answer is in the maintenence schedule of the owners manual. Yes, some cars spend less time on the road than others and some cars are driven way harder than most, like mine, therefore particular oil changing needs will vary.
I also believe in changing my oil regular. I drive my Mazda for a nice long 80 miles a day 4 days a week for work. So every month 1/2 I change my oil. I know its a lot but I drive a lot. My wifes G6 gets an oil change every 3 months whether it needs it or not and she might put 5,000 miles a year.
Since you know how you drive better than anyone it would be your call to change the oil when you thinks its time.
:confused:(I spent all this time posting to say I don't know):confused:

· Registered
504 Posts
Low mileage vehicles that are not driven regularly or driven short distances can have their oil changed once a year or every 3000 miles, whichever comes first.
High mileage vehicles driven mainly on highways for long distances can have their oil changed every 10,000 miles under ideal conditions.

· GTP 06
588 Posts
Just a note, If you go below 18% on oil life and something happens to the motor. "locks up" GM won't stand behind the warranty. They know this because they hook the computer up to it. They say abuse.... Better to change it before 18% at least until the warranty is up.

· Lifetime Member
3,805 Posts
Does the OLM actually counts down all the way to 0%?
If it does, what happens after it reached 0% and you don't reset it?
Does it keep going down to -1%, -2%, etc?
It just flashes CHANGE OIL or something like that. I reset it at each oil change.

I think it does this if you don't change the oil. :D
It explodes.. never had it there.

· Registered
470 Posts
I run Amsoil 5W30 full synthetic. I only put on about 15,000kms a year; the oil is rated up to 40,000kms/yr so I change the oil on the same weekend every year to keep things simple.

I don't use the car to tell me when to change the oil. Not to argue but that's like my tires telling me to fill them to 60psi, when the maximum pressure the wheels can handle is 50psi. As far as computer tech in vehicles has come in the last decade, I still prefer at this point to rely on the tried and true methods of vehicle maintenance. I do like the OBD system for narrowing down problems in vehicles unlike the carb systems of yore which left you with a slew of testing should something be amiss.

GM knows cars. They pour BILLIONS of dollars each year into vehicle research. They designed the OLS based on this research. It is meant to stop you from changing your oil when you don't need to. Their goal is to reduce the amount of oil that gets wasted every year.

If the OLS sensor isn't telling you to change your oil, then there is no reason to change your oil. 3000mi/5000km intervals are too frequent and are nothing but a waste of oil.

Yes the Synthetic in those tests was run for 15,000mi. There were some LS1's that were run up to 25,000mi (!!!) with only slightly more contamination in the oil than there was at 15,000mi. They recommended 15,000mi oil changes because they didn't think they'd be able to convince people to run with 20,000mi oil changes. Even regular dino oil will last a lot longer then 3000mi. Some manufacturers recommend changing the oil on their cars at 12,000mi intervals (with dino oil).
This is one of many reasons why GM went bankrupt. Spending in areas that don't require them to do so when they can just state a 7K oil change interval instead of 3K and make that the standard across the line.

A lot of people don't realize that 3K oil change intervals were the norm before overdrive transmission were on the market. This decreases engine wear by a good 35%, and higher power engines, not to mention tighter machining tolerances, that require less cruising RPM lowers that 35% to the 50-60% reduction range in engine wear.

· Registered
48 Posts
Oil life problem

Hey guys i am having a problem with my oil life reader, it just keeps saying 0% and to change oil. I have held down the enter button for minutes and still won't reset. Now i have installed the metra turbo 2 kit but it reads everything else just fine even warning ice and all that stuff. I also switched over too synthetic the first time I did it went to 80% a day after I put it in and then dropped really fast after that and now I just switched it a week ago and it won't move off of 0% so I am wondering if it's a problem with the install kit or if I'm not resetting it right or if it will just not read synthetic please let me know ASAP thanks alot

· Registered
42 Posts
Hey guys i am having a problem with my oil life reader, it just keeps saying 0% and to change oil. I have held down the enter button for minutes and still won't reset. Now i have installed the metra turbo 2 kit but it reads everything else just fine even warning ice and all that stuff. I also switched over too synthetic the first time I did it went to 80% a day after I put it in and then dropped really fast after that and now I just switched it a week ago and it won't move off of 0% so I am wondering if it's a problem with the install kit or if I'm not resetting it right or if it will just not read synthetic please let me know ASAP thanks alot
Synthetic oil will read fine so that's not it.

· Registered
48 Posts
i just tryed unplugging the negative terminal on the battery for half hour and holding brake for 10 seconds re set everything else but not the oil life im getting really angry, it will not even say resetting or what ever when you hold down the top button so it must be the kit broken right?

· Lifetime Member
3,805 Posts
i just tryed unplugging the negative terminal on the battery for half hour and holding brake for 10 seconds re set everything else but not the oil life im getting really angry, it will not even say resetting or what ever when you hold down the top button so it must be the kit broken right?

Just for the hell of it try going back to the manual and reread the instructions to reset.
I'm not saying anything about your ability to read or comprehend, it just more times than I would like to admit I have misread something or forgot a step.

· Registered
13 Posts
I'm also having trouble trying to reset the OLM on my 2010 G6 2.4. Have read, tried, and re-read the owner's manual procedure but it doesn't work. Manual says to display "change oil now" but that doesn't show since I am changing it early. Pressing the enter button with "oil life **%" showing does nothing no matter how long I hold it. Anybody know a fix for this?

· Registered
13 Posts
^ turn key but dont start car, hit menu button and screen will say "oil life reset" then hold enter button until resets.
Yeah, that was the procedure for my 2008 G6 but the 2010 is set up differently. The DIC is between the tach and speedometer and is controlled by two buttons on the steering wheel titled "Info" and the "Return Arrow".

· Registered
556 Posts
Yeah, that was the procedure for my 2008 G6 but the 2010 is set up differently. The DIC is between the tach and speedometer and is controlled by two buttons on the steering wheel titled "Info" and the "Return Arrow".

I had that setup on my g5. From what I remember you turn the key to the on position without starting the car, then you hold down the info and enter?(or reset) Button at the same time nd it ill bring up the menu so u can reset the oil life.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using AutoGuide App

· Registered
48 Posts
^ turn key but dont start car, hit menu button and screen will say "oil life reset" then hold enter button until resets.
Finally!!!!! Someone who knows what they are talking abbout I've held that poor enter button down for hours trying to get it to reset on the oil life screen and nothing and even reset my battery like one guy said which Facked up my thermostat for a week where I had check engine lights and car wouldn't warm up so thank you so much if I knew you id give you a big kiss no **** but finally a happy G6'er again! Yes!!

· Registered
13 Posts
I finally figured out how to reset the Oil Life Monitor on my 2010 G6, no thanks to the owner's manual which has the wrong procedure. With Oil Life displayed, press "Info" and "Return" buttons at same time. "Oil Life Reset" will display. Press "Enter" for more than a second and it will display "Acknowledged", followed by 100%.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.