Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This makes me feel totally ridiculous for asking as I have been changing the oil on every car I've owned since 1979 -- but where in tarnation is the oil filter located on my 4-cyl G6. I have the new replacement filter to swap out and have checked my engine over with a magnifying glass and cannot find anything like it anywhere. I'm stumped. Is it an inline type of filter? :confused:

·
Registered
488 Posts
I found this information regarding the 4 cylinder engine:

"Innovative cast-in oil filter housing, which eliminates the need to crawl under the vehicle to perform oil changes and eliminates throwaway oil filter cans that retain used oil."

I'm not really sure what that means. sorry.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Here's some more:

"The GM dual-overhead-cam EcoTec engine has an unusual oil filter located on top of the engine. Remove the engine air intake hose. That's the oil filter canister just to the right of, and below, the end of the open air intake tube. Use a proper size wrench to remove the canister lid. This engine uses a special filter cartridge"

·
Registered
50 Posts
Take off the plastic accoustic engine cover ("ECOTEC" on it, and take off the oil filler cap first). It just pulls off once the oil cap is off. Then look down where the dipstick is, there is what looks like a PVC pipe drain plug for a sewer drain in your basement. That's the cap to the oil filter. You'll likely need to bend a wrench or go out and buy an appropriate crow's foot to get in there but removing that cover will reveal the paper cartridge. It's a dry sump so there shouldn't be any oil in there and the cartridge will be only a little damp. If it's your first oil change you might see the odd bit of metal filings from when the engine was machined that didn't make it out in the break in they did at Tonawanda. Just dig them out and chuck them. The replacement filter is about $13 Canadian from the parts department.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts