Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone! I'm new here so excuse me if I don't do something quite right.

I just bought a Pontiac G6 3.5 SE1 less than 2 months ago. I LOVE the car despite the common complaints in regards to steering clunks, brakes etc.

I brought the car in less than 1 week ago for an oil change and tire rotation. The car has less than 35,000 miles on it. When the oil change was finished the tech at the counter told me that there was a "Large Oil Leak" and they suggested that I pay a 29.99 fee for a "D&D (Degrease and Die?)". I guess this degrease(s) the engine and or chassis and then puts some kind of die on it to expose the leak. I'm not sure completely.

Anyway this was quite upsetting to me being that I JUST freaking bought the car less than 2 months ago. I'm O.K. with the standard list of G6 complaints and issues and was even planning on putting all new drilled/slotted rotors on before winter anyway, but this oil leak is a little too much.

I got under the car with a friend of mine the other day and there is clearly a good amount of oil on the bottom of the car below the engine, couldn't really see a lot though because there's some kind of cover there and I don't have a lift.

Moving on, my question is has anyone had this kind of problem with their G6? Is it common? Also, I still have the remainder of the factory power train warranty would this be something that would be covered by it? Or are these kinds of "Warranties" nothing shy of assisting a sales pitch like I've always kind of thought?

Any suggestions on how I should handle this? I have an appointment this coming Monday to take it into the dealership I bought it from.

Thanks for any tips, suggestions or comments!

I DO Love my G6 and will love it more if I can get this fixed for free so I can put money into it in other places.

·
Administrator
4,176 Posts
My first question would be what year G6 you have, just because i'd like to see if the powertrain warranty would apply to your vehicle, but since you said it does this should definitly be covered by your powertrain warranty. take it to the dealer when you can, plus with the powertrain warranty they supply you with a loaner vehicle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Oil Leak

My first question would be what year G6 you have.
Sorry, it's a 2007 G6 3.5 V6 SE1. When I bought the car from the dealer they said it does have the remainder of the factory warranty which would be atleast 1 year left or up to 100,000 miles.

Right now I have about 34,000 miles. Also do you think the steering rack issues would be covered by the warranty? I never know how much a power train warranty is really even worth. I know dealerships aren't always good at honoring things.

And BTW: I have an appointment with the dealership on Monday, today is Friday. It's the same dealer I bought it from!

·
Registered
638 Posts
plus with the powertrain warranty they supply you with a loaner vehicle.
not necissarily.........its up to the dealership to give you one or not and i was without a ride for a month and a half when they had to replace all the crank bearings the camshafte liftters and head gaskets..........i called GM every day and bitched about it and they would do nothing........... and it cost me $500 to rent a G6 GXP for a week to go to my apprenticeship class in montana and back when i was laid off........GM's warranties are a joke unless you are able to find a good dealership and even then its a coin toss.......

·
Administrator
4,176 Posts
thats bs....got this from pontiac website

Courtesy Transportation Program
During the warranty coverage period, this Pontiac program provides alternate transportation and/or reimbursement of certain transportation expenses under the Courtesy Transportation Program if your vehicle requires warranty repairs. Several transportation options are available. Refer to your Owners Manual for details, including reservation of rights, or consult your dealer/retailer.

http://www.pontiac.com/warranty/

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oil Leak UPDATE!!

Ok,

So yesterday I brought my car into the dealership I bought it from for them to check the oil leak. Turns out that the company I took the car to for the oil change (the company that told me I had a leak) put a defective oil filter on my car. So, they messed up, caused a leak and then wanted to charge me to tell them what the problem was. I Will NEVER take my car back to that place again, but it was nice to know that there wasnr't any real damage or problems with the car. I also asked them about the steeing pop/clunk and as I suspected it was the usual intermediate sterring shaft needed lubed. They lubed it and the clunk is gone. So hopefully it doesn't return, but I suspect it will eventually as other people have had the same problem.

Anyway, just thought I would post an update on the "problem". Now the question is, do I go back to the company that put the defective filter on and told me I have a leak and show them that they caused the problem? Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
I wouldn't go back there. Its fixed and didn't cause any damage thats the main thing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oil Leak UPDATE 2!

I went back to the place that made the mistake. They didn't seem to care too much and made excuses (as I figured they would). I did get my 40$ back for the oil change and the guy gave me a coupon for a free one if I ever decided to go back there.

Doubtful!

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
haha atleast you got your money back

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.