Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a good idea on how accurate the "Oil Life" indicator is on a 2007 G6 GT? Just bought a pre-owned one with 15K miles on it; indicator says 98%; I'm going to change the oil and reset it, so I know the oil is fresh. I'm just wondering how accurate/reliable the indicator is.

Thanks!

·
Old far...er...tinkerer..
303 Posts
Anyone have a good idea on how accurate the "Oil Life" indicator is on a 2007 G6 GT? Just bought a pre-owned one with 15K miles on it; indicator says 98%; I'm going to change the oil and reset it, so I know the oil is fresh. I'm just wondering how accurate/reliable the indicator is.

Thanks!
Sounds like the oil was just changed (98% left).

When they get down around 5% (I think), the system warns you it's time to change the oil. I have been using these for years, both in our 2007 G6 as well as in our fleet of w-bodies. I trust them.

I notice that I get more miles when highway driving than city driving, so the computer appears to be considering several factors besides raw mileage. For example, I've taken a 2000 mile highway trip when I was below 20% (without the light coming on), so I know highway miles don't count the same.

One other thing I've seen is the oil change light come on when the motor got hot, so temperature accelerates the calculation.

Doug

·
303 Posts
Doug that's good to know. I trust mine that much more now. Too bad I accidentally reset it ha
Ya know, it's easy to do using the radio controls. Almost too easy. I've narrowly avoided it a couple times myself.

My Impalas require a little more effort. But there are no accidental resets with them.

Doug

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
I reset my trip counters and MPG counters every fill up so I can compare numbers with what I work out by math. I definitely hit it by mistake a few times haha

·
Florida Guy
18 Posts
I cant seem to get mine to reset...

I hit INFO and scroll to it then tried holding in ENTER but, its not resetting...

·
303 Posts
I notice that I get more miles when highway driving than city driving, so the computer appears to be considering several factors besides raw mileage. For example, I've taken a 2000 mile highway trip when I was below 20% (without the light coming on), so I know highway miles don't count the same.
We took the Pontiac to Florida this week. Dallas to Destin and back to Dallas was about 1700 miles, and used about 16 percentage points off the oil life indicator, dropping from 88 down to 72% remaining, as I recall.

Doug

1 - 8 of 8 Posts