Pontiac G6 Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is specifically about the oil indicator.

I've got about 800 miles on my car, and had the oil changed around 700. I noticed today the oil life gauge is still at 80 whatever percent, so obviously the gauge is based purely on mileage and has to be reset.

My question is how do you reset the oil indicator? Also, is there an indicator and/or noise that goes off when it gets low? The reason I ask is once I switch to Synthetic I don't plan on changing it any more often than 6,000 miles (unless the G6 actually requires it for some reason, anyone know?), and I don't want a light or noise or message in the info center pestering me. I get every other oil change (every 6,000 miles) free from the dealer. From what I've read Synthetic oils last way longer than that.

My other question is about synthetic oils. I've heard all kinds of mumbo jumbo about using them and don't know what's true. I've heard stuff about not switching to synthetics until a certain amount of mileage. I've also heard once you use synthetic you can't go back to petroleum based oil. Is any of this true? I haven't really found anything on google pertaining to these questions.

·
Registered
279 Posts
You could look at your owner manual - it tells how to reset Oil Life Monitor. The monitor isn't simply based on mileage, although that is a factor.

Reset it (when ready) by pushing menu button once so that it displays Oil Life Reset and then press and hold Enter until Acknowledge is displayed.

When Oil Life gets to around 10% you will see "Change Oil Soon" indicator and 3 chimes on each ignition cycle.

I don't know about synthetic oils but I have read some of the same stuff on Internet as you mentioned.

One thing I do know is that the Oil Life Monitoring system in G6 is algorithm-based and is calibrated for petroleum oil and so it will not calculate life different if you are using synthetic. Only vehicles built with engines recommending synthetic oil have oil life monitors that are calibrated for it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I am having Mobil 1 put into my car whenever they're done putting the engine back together. I've only got about 800kms on it now but I consider it to be broken in at this point. (As well as broken, 3 bent valves)

Synthetic oil is 100% compatible with petroleum based oil, and you can switch between the two at any time.

I am switching to Mobil 1 because I have read that the change interval is something like 15,000Mi, which means having to change the oil basically once per year.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
e2helper said:
Reset it (when ready) by pushing menu button once so that it displays Oil Life Reset and then press and hold Enter until Acknowledge is displayed.
D'oh. I just assumed it was something you had to do under the hood or with the fuses or something. Me and my assumptions.

·
Registered
268 Posts
TLS2000 said:
I am having Mobil 1 put into my car whenever they're done putting the engine back together. I've only got about 800kms on it now but I consider it to be broken in at this point. (As well as broken, 3 bent valves)

Synthetic oil is 100% compatible with petroleum based oil, and you can switch between the two at any time.

I am switching to Mobil 1 because I have read that the change interval is something like 15,000Mi, which means having to change the oil basically once per year.
Ouch that sucks, thats the first problem with the 3900 that i've herd of.

The change intervals are set by GM and dont change by the they of oil you put in.
Technically yes you are correct but GM doesn’t care.

·
Registered
140 Posts
There was no problem with the engine other than an IDIOT error by the driver.. lol..

I had it red-lined on the highway and shifted down instead of up (missed the shift gate, was aiming for fourth, hit second). Bbefore I realised that I had screwed up, I lifted my foot off the clutch. Over revved it by about 2000rpm I would say.

GM is being very nice in that they're fixing it under warranty for me.

The downside is that I've been waiting for parts for more than two weeks.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Ouch is a huge understatement.

I felt so stupid when I let off on the clutch that I was beating myself up about it for a few hours.

I don't blame the car. I was an idiot.

I saw the car the other day, and the engine is all apart with the rear bank of cylinders exposed (covered with a cloth). They're waiting on a head gasket kit to arrive from Mexico for it. After that, I figure I'll have the car the next day.

I think I'm going to sit in the driveway for a few hours practicing moving the shifter around...

·
Registered
142 Posts
just a thought from my days at the part stores, I was always under the assumption that you could go from normal oil to synthetic but not back?! Not that theres any reason you'd want to, just something to look into though!

·
Registered
114 Posts
on high mileage engines, dino oil typically "plugs" areas where a leak would have become apparent due to the inconsistencies of particle sizes (some big, some small). syn. oil is typically thinner and more consistent (smaller sizes) and if you switch over, you're more likely to see leaks you would not have if you didn't.

on a newer engine, it's said to not go synthetic for something like 10-15k, though i'd just switch over after your first "scheduled" change (i.e., 3k). it's a brand new engine, and by 3k it's broken in decent enough.

one thing though, if you're going to go synthetic, stay synthetic, or stay dino, one way or the other. personally, i go mobil 1 at that first 3k oil change...

·
Designed For Action
509 Posts
TLS2000 said:
There was no problem with the engine other than an IDIOT error by the driver.. lol..

I had it red-lined on the highway and shifted down instead of up (missed the shift gate, was aiming for fourth, hit second). Bbefore I realised that I had screwed up, I lifted my foot off the clutch. Over revved it by about 2000rpm I would say.
That is truly incredible! In the future, please be careful with that high-rev excitement. ;)

·
Designed For Action
509 Posts
TLS2000 said:
I think I'm going to sit in the driveway for a few hours practicing moving the shifter around...
That's a good idea! :)

·
Registered
140 Posts
SCGA1: It has certainly humbled me. lol..

After the initial break in period, you can switch to synthetic with no problems. Really, the break in is done at the factory, so you should have no trouble switching as soon as you get the car.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
e2helper said:
Just tried this. I know the other options it takes 2 seconds to clear. Unless you need to hold enter for more than like 4 seconds it didn't work.

·
Registered
16 Posts
TLS2000 said:
At this point by reading your 2 main posts, im thinking you shouldnt be driving a car OR you need to really do some research before you blow the engine again.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I worked for Napa for 5 years and spoke to both the mobil and valvoline reps and they both have said that a full synthetic can have a change interval of upwards 8,000 miles!! 15,000 might be a bit far fetched but 8,000 is easily obtainable!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Billabongi said:
At this point by reading your 2 main posts, im thinking you shouldnt be driving a car OR you need to really do some research before you blow the engine again.
Synthetic oils have been PROVEN to last longer than standard conventional oil. I would suggest that you should bring some facts along with statements like the one made above.

To make statements like that is insulting, perhaps you should learn to keep to yourself if you have nothing better to do than insult a person. Try including facts when you're telling me that I'm wrong.

Please tell me how using synthetic oil has ANY relation to me making a BAD SHIFT and damaging the engine? That was an accident, which I attribute to my inexperience with a standard transmission. It is an accident that will not occur again.

I have been reading about synthetic oils for years and have only now decided to try them out.

http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Synthetics/Whats_It_Do_For_Me.aspx

See on the bottom: Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5w30

GUARANTEED PERFORMANCE AND ENGINE PROTECTION FOR 15,000 MILES!

A used oil analysis of Mobil 1. They ran it for 18,000Mi! They recommend 8000Mi with filter change, or 15,000Mi with the filter changed every 5,000Mi. BTW, this is regular Mobil 1!
http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/mobil1.html

AMSOIL sells synthetic with a life of 25,000Mi, though they recommend changing the filter after 12,500Mi.

Mercedes-Benz is recommending 13,000Mi oil change intervals.
http://www.klinegroup.com/6_20051028.htm

Also from the above link, it states that most manufacturers are now recommending 7500Mi intervals with standard oil.

A lot of guys on the Camaroz28.com forums go 10,000Mi or more before changing their Mobil1.

Here's another thing for you bud: General Motors isn't recommending 3000 mile oil changes anymore. They recommend changing it when the oil life monitor tells you to, or at least once a year, depending on which comes first. In my Grand Am, I was making it to about 12,000kms before the change oil light came on.

Now try and tell me that I didn't do any research. Show me the research that you have that contadicts my statement.

·
Pontiac Fan From Day One
21 Posts
what are you talking about???

TLS2000 said:
Synthetic oils have been PROVEN to last longer than standard conventional oil. I would suggest that you should bring some facts along with statements like the one made above.

To make statements like that is insulting, perhaps you should learn to keep to yourself if you have nothing better to do than insult a person. Try including facts when you're telling me that I'm wrong.

Please tell me how using synthetic oil has ANY relation to me making a BAD SHIFT and damaging the engine? That was an accident, which I attribute to my inexperience with a standard transmission. It is an accident that will not occur again.

I have been reading about synthetic oils for years and have only now decided to try them out.

http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Synthetics/Whats_It_Do_For_Me.aspx

See on the bottom: Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5w30

GUARANTEED PERFORMANCE AND ENGINE PROTECTION FOR 15,000 MILES!

A used oil analysis of Mobil 1. They ran it for 18,000Mi! They recommend 8000Mi with filter change, or 15,000Mi with the filter changed every 5,000Mi. BTW, this is regular Mobil 1!
http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/mobil1.html

AMSOIL sells synthetic with a life of 25,000Mi, though they recommend changing the filter after 12,500Mi.

Mercedes-Benz is recommending 13,000Mi oil change intervals.
http://www.klinegroup.com/6_20051028.htm

Also from the above link, it states that most manufacturers are now recommending 7500Mi intervals with standard oil.

A lot of guys on the Camaroz28.com forums go 10,000Mi or more before changing their Mobil1.

Here's another thing for you bud: General Motors isn't recommending 3000 mile oil changes anymore. They recommend changing it when the oil life monitor tells you to, or at least once a year, depending on which comes first. In my Grand Am, I was making it to about 12,000kms before the change oil light came on.

Now try and tell me that I didn't do any research. Show me the research that you have that contadicts my statement.
Ok you are right in couple of points but, you sould get off this guys back buddy becouse you are wrong also!!! Here I will prove a huge fact......
look at the fricken bottle of mobil 1 15,000 mile oil. do you see a "starburst" on it?? NO, NO YOU DO NOT... you want to know why?? Yes syn. oils are way better! But 1st major thing you are forgetting (oil filters can't last that long) It sounds like you better start reading more about that stuff, becouse you put that in your car and not only you stand of a good chance of doing major damage on you motor but also you will void your warrenty!! ( don't beleave me?? read the back of the bottle, still don't beleive me?? Read the owners manual. See what it says about the starburst on the bottle! That mobil 1 is a fricken joke and if anyone runs that you a fool!! ( the regular mobil 1 is good but thats it) Your oil change intervals should not change becouse you run sysnthetic. You are just looking for a lame way to get out from changing the oil. You still change the oil on time everytime. Yes, the oil could go longer but try to say that when you have a motor problem to the dealer. They are going to laugh in your face. Becouse you did not stay with the oil change intervals. Call the dealer and ask them see what they say about long life oil!!! just remember oil is the cheepest thing to change on your car but oil can do the most damage to it to!!!!!! so before you go off on someone about this subject YOU MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ALL YOUR FACTS STRIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! also if you been reading about it for years, why only now you are using it??? sould you have been useing it a long time ago?? :D :mad: :D :mad: :D :mad:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hi,

Has anyone ever taught you how to use a paragraph?

The first thing that you should do is look at where I said that you need to change the oil filter, even if you don't change the oil. Thank you for NOT proving me wrong.

I am not looking for a lame way of getting out of changing the oil, actually. I have even stated that I will be changing my oil based on the Oil Life Monitor that GM put into the car. No voided warranty for me. Thanks for NOT proving me wrong again. :D

Now, as for the dealer telling me that it will void the warranty: No kidding. I have only stated that with synthetic, as well as NON-SYNTHETIC oil, 3000mi oil change intervals are NOT required, and ARE EXCESSIVE. I have even backed this up with data, yet somehow I'm still wrong.

The only thing that you have pointed out is that Mobil 1 extended performance (which I am not using, BTW) doesn't have the starburst symbol on the bottle. According to the Mobil1 website, Mobil1 Extended performance exceeds the requirements to meet the ILSAC GF-4 standard. This means that it EXCEEDS the standards for the starburst symbol. Thanks for NOT proving me wrong. :D

To answer your question about why I am only now using synthetic oil: I have never had a car that I cared about enough to try synthetic. Now I have a car that I love, so I want to take care of it.

Please come back with some facts and some actual data and show me how I'm wrong. I'm getting tired of people coming on here and telling me that I don't know what I'm talking about, without bringing any facts or data to the table simply because they can't be bothered to research themselves.

Until then, have a great life. :D

·
Pontiac Fan From Day One
21 Posts
you wish you got me

Ok all is fair. I missed the part were you said about the oil filter. my appologyes. but now you still did not prove nothing due to the fact you just talked about crap nothing proven to this day yet. so you can comment about your thread all you want but you have nothing to prove and I hope you guys are all listening to this too. so thanks again and have a great day.. :D :D :D :D :D :D

oh by the way nope I don't spell or do paragraphs. so get use to it...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.