Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· GXP Owner!
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so it's been almost one month since I got my 2009 G6 GXP. And I have loved every minute of it. And will continue to love every minute of it no matter what problems I have. And I already have a list of mods I want to do to the car! =D But with the first month comes some little things I have noticed that will need to be fixed under the warranty. All of them are small but bug me.

Problem List
#1 - The steering wheel is not centered when I am driving in a strait line.
#2 - The trunk button inside the car doesn't work. I have to use the remote or the key to open it.
#3 - The GXP logos on the sides and back of the car have black paint on them and it's peeling off.

I hope I don't sound like I'm being picky, but I spent a lot of money on this car and I want it to look nice and work. =D

Has anyone had any of these problems? Does anyone know of any reasons why these problems might have happened. I'll try to get pics tomorrow. The paint peeling off the logos is probably the one that bugs me the most. Because people can see that problem. =D

And thoughts are welcome. All in all though this car is amazing. I love the get up and go it has!

· GXP Owner!
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is a pic of the GXP logo like it was when I bought it. I don't have a picture of them now. But the black part to the left of the GXP on this side has started peeling off. To the point where the first black box is all gone and the others have started to peel. But that's the logos I'm talking about.

· Premium Member
5,786 Posts
Actually the centering of your wheel can be done with a Tech2.
No need for an alignment unless you need an alignment.

Does the car pull to one side or do you have unusual wear on your tires?

Take it to the dealership and they can center and fix that for you real quick.

That happens when you lose all power (batt disconnect) and your wheel is off center when it cycles and centers back on- it can then be off center.

#2 it happens. Warranty it and the emblems. I would debadge it but the one I would keep is the one your having issues with. :eek:

· Pontiac Enthusiast
53 Posts
Okay, so it's been almost one month since I got my 2009 G6 GXP. And I have loved every minute of it. And will continue to love every minute of it no matter what problems I have. And I already have a list of mods I want to do to the car! =D But with the first month comes some little things I have noticed that will need to be fixed under the warranty. All of them are small but bug me.

Problem List
#1 - The steering wheel is not centered when I am driving in a strait line.
#2 - The trunk button inside the car doesn't work. I have to use the remote or the key to open it.
#3 - The GXP logos on the sides and back of the car have black paint on them and it's peeling off.

I hope I don't sound like I'm being picky, but I spent a lot of money on this car and I want it to look nice and work. =D

Has anyone had any of these problems? Does anyone know of any reasons why these problems might have happened. I'll try to get pics tomorrow. The paint peeling off the logos is probably the one that bugs me the most. Because people can see that problem. =D

And thoughts are welcome. All in all though this car is amazing. I love the get up and go it has!
Off Centre problems I have ALL THE TIME!.. Alignment doesn't work.. it has nothing to do with tires... they keep fixing it for me but it keeps going off centre again... not sure what the problem is, but if they tell you at the dealership let me know... they said they had to realign the steering wheel and column?

· Premium Member
5,786 Posts
Your right. There is a steering wheel centering menu in the Tech2.
Did u read my post? To minimize this, when you park make sure your steering wheel is centered before you turn your ignition off.

Also dont turn the wheel when the car is off.

Also on Battery disconnect make sure your wheel is stright as an arrow and youll be fine.

· GXP Owner!
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually the centering of your wheel can be done with a Tech2.
No need for an alignment unless you need an alignment.

Does the car pull to one side or do you have unusual wear on your tires?

Take it to the dealership and they can center and fix that for you real quick.

That happens when you lose all power (batt disconnect) and your wheel is off center when it cycles and centers back on- it can then be off center.

#2 it happens. Warranty it and the emblems. I would debadge it but the one I would keep is the one your having issues with. :eek:
No the car doesn't pull to the left the wheel just isn't centered when I'm driving in a strait line. As for the emblems. I like them on the car. I don't really want to take them off. I thought about stripping all the black off of all the emblems and repainting them in a different color. To add a little color to the car. Like paint what's black now red or orange or something. Do you think that would look good? Just to add a little color to the whiteness. =D

· GXP Owner!
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would eventually paint the Calipers the same color I painted the emblems. Like red. So the black part on the emblems and the calipers would be red.

· Pontiac Enthusiast
53 Posts
Your right. There is a steering wheel centering menu in the Tech2.
Did u read my post? To minimize this, when you park make sure your steering wheel is centered before you turn your ignition off.

Also dont turn the wheel when the car is off.

Also on Battery disconnect make sure your wheel is stright as an arrow and youll be fine.
oh really? thanks for the info, I will definitely try this.. :)

· GXP Owner!
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here are some pics.

This is what the steering wheel looks like when I'm driving in a strait line.

Here is the logo the way it's suppose to look.

Here is the logo now.

· CrAzY Moderator
1,116 Posts
wow big dif huh

· Pontiac Enthusiast
53 Posts
Yeah, and every time I look at it it seems like there is more gone. So I'll give it 3 more days before all the black is gone.
Honestly... the way the paint is coming off? looks like someone is scratching it, or it also could be the brushes from an automated car wash? do you go through any of those? some places aren't programmed properly and will scratch anything off the car... :(

Your wheel problem is exactly like mine!! lol.. it's not funny but it is in a sense.. every time I take it in, they tell me they take the wheel off and replace it? most of the time a simple alignment would fix it, but in this case it won't..

· GXP Owner!
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well the steering wheel issue, and the trunk button issue I'm having I'm told are fixable, so I'm not to worried about any of them. As for the emblems peeling I really like the painting them red idea, or taking them off all together. But I think with red calipers the parts that are black now on the emblems would look good in the same color red.

· Registered
292 Posts
Do you have to use a special type of paint when painting the calipers due to excessive heat or even just for durability? I was thinking of painting mine red as well, should look nice on my black 05 GT

· Registered
130 Posts
Do you have to use a special type of paint when painting the calipers due to excessive heat or even just for durability? I was thinking of painting mine red as well, should look nice on my black 05 GT
check out the other threads on painting calipers, lampoon has some pretty detailed explainatons in those threads. he say what kinds to use and how to do it an everything.

· CrAzY Moderator
1,116 Posts
in the painted calipers thread i posted videos and step by step instructions

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.