Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Pontiac owners are abandoning the brand when it comes time to purchase their next vehicle, according to a report in Automotive News.

Pontiac's moderately priced sedans like the G6, Grand Prix and G8 were affordable transportation for many consumers. With those products gone, all that GMC-Buick dealers (who formerly carried Pontiac products) can offer are more expensive fare like the Buick Lacrosse, which starts at $26,000.

Pontiac customers who do stick with GM tend to gravitate towards Chevrolet, which offers larger, moderately priced sedans that are a familiar transition for Pontiac owners. GM has offered a $1,000 rebate to Pontiac owners as well as four free oil changes as an incentive to stay with the company. GM spokesperson Tom Henderson said that "the loyalty rates of Pontiac owners are in line with our expectations," but declined to give any data.

More: Only 36 Percent Of Pontiac Owners Stay With GM on AutoGuide.com

·
Registered
5 Posts
Brand not price..

I never bought my Pontiac because of price...I bought it because I wanted a Pontiac.

GM can kiss my ass.

·
Fried like a Cheese Stick
1,035 Posts
Not sure what the big deal about "only" 36% staying; I mean, how many stayed with Pontiac or GM beforehand? I happen to have had 5 Pontiacs and 1 Chevy for my last 6 cars, but in general the population tends to bounce around to different makes from what I've observed :cheers:

·
Registered
6 Posts
With the G5 and G8 models Pontiac looked like a brand making a comeback... which is why I'm baffled that GM ended the brand. I look through their models now and see NOTHING of value or interest to me.

• Azeo -> Cobalt -> Cruze -> Malibu -> Impala.
    I'm 6'3" -> Crappy -> Looks cheap -> Grocery Getter -> larger Grocery Getter.
  • Maybe a Camaro so I could take my shirt off and yeehaw out the window. Wonder if they have a Dixie horn upgrade or T - Tops.
  • Buick = Oldsmobile = Grannymobile
    The LaCrosse looks nice, but for 30k, I'd be looking at a Lexus CT 200h, IS 250, Acura TSX, Nissan Maxima, Toyota Avalon or so many others.
I'm also totally disgusted with GM's coporate culture. Their unions, offshoring, government bailout, and Detroit. In contrast, Nissan, Honda, Toyota, Hyundia, and Kia (BMW and Mercedes too but beyond my pay grade) all have big manufacturing plants in the South which are putting people to work with well paying jobs and they support the communities they're in. This alone is enough to purchase their products instead of GM's for a very long time.

But ultimately my purchasing descision will be based on price and how much I like the car. Chances are GM products will probally devalue the most which means inexpensive slightly used cars. I got my 20006 G6 GT with leather seats in 2007 with 8k miles for ~$17k-18k. But buying new... no way GM.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Gm Loyalty

With GM's poor decision to end Pontiac, it's no wonder 36% of Pontiac owners are staying loyal. There's nothing they have to offer that can compare to a Pontiac. The only cars I'd even consider are a Corvette or a Camaro, and neither one of those combines the all around sportiness and practicality of the Pontiac line up. I've had a 2001 Grand Am GT for 150k with very few problems, so I just bought a 2007 G6 GT while they're still around. If this one's as loyal as the last one, I'll be happy as a clam!

·
Registered
470 Posts
I can tell you that right now Pontiac has a better customer buy again ratio than Toyota, ha.

·
jack steel
2 Posts
I just bought a new Hyundai Sonata SE.In the past all of my cars were GM,but I will not buy another one.My 2008 G6 has sixty thousand miles and the only problem was replacing the AC compressor.

·
Moderator Member Thingy
1,330 Posts
The G6 is my first and only car. I will frankly be going with a Hyundai or Nissan for my next car. When GM ended the Pontiac brand, they pretty much killed any truly decent cars they had. I look at today's lineup and I can never imagine myself driving any of the GM cars.

I can fit right into a Sonata, Genesis or Maxima though.

·
Lifetime Member
3,269 Posts
I've owned a few Pontiacs and only one was trouble, but boy was it trouble! I agree, Pontiac was/is the only GM I'd consider buying. The only reason I bought a G6 (six generation Grand AM) was because of the success I had with the Grand AMs before.

·
Da.v3
597 Posts
I get offered a " loyalty" rebate, extra value on my used car and i even have the gm card with 2k on it...and i dont think that will even be enough to get me to buy another gm car.

Nothing else gm has now compares to the 6 or the g8 in terms of looks, size and power witch would have been my " next " car.

all of that on top of all the dumb shit they have done...not convincing. im thinkin mitsu's 10yr warranty is pulling my leg. might be time for an outlander in the near future

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, the way I feel is that GM stabled me in the back. I have own three Pontiac's, and what do they leave me with now, Chevy I think not. All the other brands they have just don't move me the right way. It just kills me that they kill Pontiac to save Chevy, when Chevy was loose way more money then Pontiac.

For my next car I plan on supporting the American work, I hear BMW is just about done with there plant they are opening down south. Maybe I will be looking at a new BMW.

As for GM F*ck you and I hope you die a painful death because you are far from what you clam to be, and it is a sad day when a Toyota is more American then an American company car.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Well, the way I feel is that GM stabled me in the back. I have own three Pontiac's, and what do they leave me with now, Chevy I think not. All the other brands they have just don't move me the right way. It just kills me that they kill Pontiac to save Chevy, when Chevy was loose way more money then Pontiac.

For my next car I plan on supporting the American work, I hear BMW is just about done with there plant they are opening down south. Maybe I will be looking at a new BMW.

As for GM F*ck you and I hope you die a painful death because you are far from what you clam to be, and it is a sad day when a Toyota is more American then an American company car.
As sad as it is that Pontiac is currently dead, there wasn't a chance in hell they were going to kill Chevy. Chevy is GM. Plus, if you kill Chevy, you kill the Corvette. GM makes a killing of those.

I still plan to buy a G8 GXP in a year when I graduate.

·
Varsity Squad
751 Posts
I have not done the research, but I am pretty sure that 36% is probably about an industry average on loyalty. With the way the world and our country is LOYALTY is about as common as common sense anymore. I have always owned a GM vehichle in the 15 yrs I have been driving.

·
MonsterG6
386 Posts
that G8 though....that thing is SOOOO sexy...i tried to get the guy to race me but he wasnt having any of it...ida lost anyways...4bangers are a slow car. id jump all over a g8 as soon as i got a chance...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts