Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was trying to remove the outer tie rods on my 2006, G6 in order to replace the inner tie rods which is where my problem is. However I have run into a problem. I can't get the nut off the outer tie rod under the steering knuckle. The 18mm nut spins down but then begins spinning the stud with it. The stud has an 8mm hex on the end I was able to get a wrench on to hold it still but that only works until the larger nut gets down too it, then I am stuck. Now I can't even get the larger nut back up to tighten it back down because the stud just spins with it. There is no insert for an allen wrench or anything like that I can find to hold it still. I have tried pliers and vice grips to hold it still while I try to tighten it back down, nothing works.

I am about to cut the bolt and just replace the outer ends too but I was hoping to avoid that. I don't want to drive it anywhere with that loose either.

Can anyone help me out? I attached a pic if that helps at all.

Attachments

·
Legend
782 Posts
A mod has to delete it. But I've changed both mine and neither the oem or aftermarket ones spun like that. It sounds to me as if the stud broke somehow. I would say your gonna have to replace that outter tie rod. And I wouldn't drive anywhere like that either that's just asking for problems.

Sent from my Desire HD using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Legend
782 Posts
I

·
Registered
606 Posts
I am going to say you are going to need a rack, the housing wears out where the inner rod passes through. Slide the boot away and look.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help/thoughts - I ended up having to cut the one bolt to get the outer rod off, the other one I was able to get the nut off by using vice grips and some help from my father in law. Ended up replacing both inners and outers, had the alignment done this afternoon. Everything good for now.

·
Registered
21 Posts
This is why it bothers me when people who aren't mechanics try to save a buck or 2 and end up paying more in the end for it. Most outer tie rods will spin like that after the nut is loosened up. If you take a pry bar and pry the tie rod back down in the knuckle then it won't spin on you. Then you loosen the nut off and remove the tie rod. I deal with this at work all the time. This is why there are professionals out there that know what they are doing. You are messing with your suspension and your steering yet lack the knowledge and know how to do it. What if you do something wrong and you lose steering while driving or something else bad happens? Think about it next time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is why it bothers me when people who aren't mechanics try to save a buck or 2 and end up paying more in the end for it. Most outer tie rods will spin like that after the nut is loosened up. If you take a pry bar and pry the tie rod back down in the knuckle then it won't spin on you. Then you loosen the nut off and remove the tie rod. I deal with this at work all the time. This is why there are professionals out there that know what they are doing. You are messing with your suspension and your steering yet lack the knowledge and know how to do it. What if you do something wrong and you lose steering while driving or something else bad happens? Think about it next time.
Says the mechanic that has never nor will ever mess anything up. Right? I'm sure people appreciate the advice but not really the attitude towards it. A lot of people can't afford to pay outrageous shop prices and the ridiculous part price mark-ups in today's day and age. Ever think about that before judging the do it yourself kind of folks? I agree you should atleast understand what you are working with and know the right way to do it.. But that does not mean everything has to be taken to a mechanic. No hard feelings but this post was actually rude to the people that actually do know how to do these things on our own! Also to the ones who do it themselves because they have no other option.

·
Registered
218 Posts
That post is 9 years old . I do agree with you though. Question..... How do you "take a pry bar and pry the tie rod back down in the knuckle" When working with tapered pin attachments, I find that a wack with a hammer will usually keep the joint from spinning.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts