Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have had my 2005 Pontiac G6 for about 3 years and have had this issue for awhile now. I'll be driving and I'll occasionally put the pedal down and the engine revs up to about 4500-5000 rpms and when this happens the tach over revs all the way to 6000 rpms and the car seems to bog down and then once the tach drops it bucks and resumes accelerating. I took it to the dealership and they said I'm hitting the rev limit and that's normal. I have several friends that are mechanics and they told me that there is potentially something wrong with my transmission. I don't recall it being this bad when i got it or if it even happened at all. Any advice would be appreciated. I'm starting to go crazy because I know when something is usually wrong and I'm fairly knowledgeable about cars. Anyone else having this issue?

·
Registered
916 Posts
Does sound like something wrong the stock rev limiter is 5300 RPM (05 base) not sure what you have exactly. But only thing i can think of is the car is not picking the correct gear making the engine over rev like its trying to change then go back down from the WOT.

On another note i have a tune and the engine revs a little over 6200 now and has no issues with power loss at the higher rpm.

Maybe throw up a vid or something.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Over rev limiter

Hey thanks for the reply, my car is completely stock as of right now. Haven't had the funds to tune it or add any performance/visual parts. So I'm thinking only way for me to fix this issue is to re-tune the car? Or replace the transmission? If you know of a quick fix I would be very grateful, and any easy and less expensive additions to my car would be cool as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have a 4 cyl 2006. on a recent trip to the mountains going up the car slowed to 25 mph (slow even for a 4 cyl). i accelerated. jump the revs, did nothing for the speed and then revs drop back down. it almost sounded like I down shifted with the gas mashed to the floor. scared the &#*% out of me. now i have no pick up and i need half mile of on ramp to reach highway speeds. any clue?

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
i have a 4 cyl 2006. on a recent trip to the mountains going up the car slowed to 25 mph (slow even for a 4 cyl). i accelerated. jump the revs, did nothing for the speed and then revs drop back down. it almost sounded like I down shifted with the gas mashed to the floor. scared the &#*% out of me. now i have no pick up and i need half mile of on ramp to reach highway speeds. any clue?
How does it act in park when you get on the pedal?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.