Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend thought it was hilarious this weekend when my 4 month old car sounded like a 15 year old car on its last legs trying to start.

Did anyone ever get this problem resolved? I figure there's no point taking it into the dealer to look at as it's pretty rare and there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for when it happens. Therefore the chances of them duplicating it are slim.

My guess it would be an issue with the starter motor.

I don't care so much that it happens occasionally (although I would prefer it didn't happen) if it's not hurting anything. Is it possible though that this issue is doing damage to the engine in some way?

Edit: Actually, upon thinking about it I may not have an overstarting issue. I'm not sure, you guys tell me. Occasionally when I turn the key in the ignition it will start to turn over. If I let go of the key the engine will still try to start for a few seconds before it finally catches.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Stop trying to start the car like you would a normal car. Do not hold the key to crank the engine, simply turn the key to the start position and let it go quickly. The computer controlled bump starter will not be confused this way. I have had fewer over-cranks using this method.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I took the car in for the same issue of course they could not get the car to do it while it was in the shop.
So now I have a pad of paper on the dash and I mark how many starts before it does the overcrank again.
So far it has done it at after the 18th start and 22nd start.

·
Registered
21 Posts
There shouldn't be a "special" way to start the car. The conventional way should be fine. It is an ecm issue I think (not enough fuel upon startup?). We'll see, mine is doing it more often lately.

·
Registered
2 Posts
same problem

okay so i am having the same problem. It's actually going to the dealership tomorrow to get the recall fixed. I'm going to see if they can find out whats wrong. Odds are they won't since it's so random when it does this. Maybe they will finally figure it out and come out with a recall.

I also turn the key quick and do not hold it but it still happens no matter what

·
Registered
199 Posts
do you guys jump in and turn the key from off to start with no delay? I usually turn mine to run and let the fuel pump run and shut off before I start to crank.

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
CACTIDEVIL said:
There shouldn't be a "special" way to start the car. The conventional way should be fine. It is an ecm issue I think (not enough fuel upon startup?). We'll see, mine is doing it more often lately.
bigbengt67 is right, just turn the key and release immediatly. There is indeed a 'special' way to start these cars.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sunrunner_pei said:
bigbengt67 is right, just turn the key and release immediatly. There is indeed a 'special' way to start these cars.
Nope. That's how I do it, and it's happened doing that.

Edit: Note, he says he has had fewer overcranks doing it this way, not none. Also, if there was a special method why wouldn't it be in the manual?

·
Registered
142 Posts
my dealership said it was a hot start problem and they had to download the newest info to the computer... it still does it but only 2time in the last 2ish months as to where it was doing it 10 times a month before at least!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SimplyRed said:
my dealership said it was a hot start problem and they had to download the newest info to the computer... it still does it but only 2time in the last 2ish months as to where it was doing it 10 times a month before at least!
Eh, it's pretty rare for me, more of annoyance. Did they give you any info on why exactly it was doing that or if it was damaging anything?

·
Registered
557 Posts
Lucius said:
Edit: Note, he says he has had fewer overcranks doing it this way, not none. Also, if there was a special method why wouldn't it be in the manual?
I occasionally get a start where it cranks a fraction of a second too long, but no where near as bad as it used to be. When it used to happen frequently it was usually after the car had sat for a few days. My computer has never been updated either.

·
Registered
423 Posts
SimplyRed said:
i tend to disagree with the 'hot start' comment by your dealer....the number of times mine did that was after it sat overnight in the garage and then started it first thing in the a.m., definitely on a 'cold' engine. as a matter of fact, this is the ONLY time i can remember it happening to me......

·
Registered
142 Posts
G6Action said:
i tend to disagree with the 'hot start' comment by your dealer....the number of times mine did that was after it sat overnight in the garage and then started it first thing in the a.m., definitely on a 'cold' engine. as a matter of fact, this is the ONLY time i can remember it happening to me......
See Id honestly have to say that I dont think it has ever done it to me on a cold engine... Only when I would get in it and say run to the store 1.5mi or so away, shut it off and run inside. When Id get back in the car and ready to leave it would do it. Hmmmm who knows! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
199 Posts
SimplyRed said:
See Id honestly have to say that I dont think it has ever done it to me on a cold engine... Only when I would get in it and say run to the store 1.5mi or so away, shut it off and run inside. When Id get back in the car and ready to leave it would do it. Hmmmm who knows! :rolleyes:
Thats when I notice it too. Doesn't do it very often..maybe once every 100 manual starts. I almost expect it to happen when I use the remote start though.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've had that issue too. Not a big deal...obviously I wish it didn't do that but it doesn't seem to be causing any problems. I've actually had it try to turn over but then it just doesn't.

Haven't talked to the dealer yet. I may mention it but like everything else it wont act up for the dealer!...hehe

·
Registered
113 Posts
I guess I will chime in after watching all the posts-- My car has done it on occasion, however I tend to think that it is actually a normal act when it occurs. I have nothing to back up my thinking but I believe that it is something that a sensor is picking up which tells the PCM or whichever control module that tells the starter to crank, that it needs to turn the engine over a bit more before allowing the engine to run normally. I dunno, just a thought.

·
Registered
21 Posts
There has to be a glitch(I dont think i spelled that right, LOL) somewhere making the car have to crank an extended amount in order to start(seems to be fuel, whether it be not enough or too much on startup)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts