Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2005 g6 gt
i know the codes mean p0430 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 2)
and p0300 is random missfires

i was told it was the catalytic converter, but not sure if its the front cat or rear?
any input would be very helpful.
the shop i go to wants me to bring it in with the codes on....but i don"t want to pay an extra $50 just for them to pull the codes i have my own code reader.

thanks

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had the exact same codes on my 06 gtp and i had to have my rear cat replaced. The thing about the shop is they have a more advanced computer and if the codes are on the car when they check the car their computer will tell exactly what cat needs to be replaced. I also had a transmission pan seal replaced due to a leak. But since the cat was replaced I havent had any issues with a misfire now i have more transmission issues... I will figure those out but that is the insight I can give you about your codes. Good luck if you have any questions you can ask and I may have an answer and if I dont I will figure it out.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
2005 g6 gt
i know the codes mean p0430 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 2)
and p0300 is random missfires

i was told it was the catalytic converter, but not sure if its the front cat or rear?
any input would be very helpful.
the shop i go to wants me to bring it in with the codes on....but i don"t want to pay an extra $50 just for them to pull the codes i have my own code reader.

thanks
What's the car's mileage? Depending on your mileage, you may want to replace both at this time. A scan tool that reads live engine data allows you to view the sensor switching of the pre & post cat HO2 sensors which tells you the condition of the cats. Bank 2 is the half of the engine closest to the radiator.

Also, misfires can be caused by a clogged cat & conversely, a bad cat can be caused by a misfiring engine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks..... think i might just suck it up and take it in with the codes on.... i know the owner at the midas shop i go to so they might not charge me the diagnostic fee as long as they get to do the work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What's the car's mileage? Depending on your mileage, you may want to replace both at this time. A scan tool that reads live engine data allows you to view the sensor switching of the pre & post cat HO2 sensors which tells you the condition of the cats. Bank 2 is the half of the engine closest to the radiator.

Also, misfires can be caused by a clogged cat & conversely, a bad cat can be caused by a misfiring engine.
yeah the car has 171000KMS on it....might just do both the shop i go to didn't have a listing for new cats tho... might have to get ones from the dealer($$$$$)... have to check with one another parts store first tho.... they give me parts at mechanic cost

got a price for the front one at a local auto wrecker for 150

1 - 6 of 6 Posts