Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My CEL came on and I got the P0705 code. I read many articles about the neutral safety switch and watched videos about the repair. I have no back up lights, the car starts only in Park, no issues with the gears. I am also getting "top not secure" message and am unable to open the trunk. The top has never worked since I bought the car used last year. I tried disconnecting negative battery terminal to no avail. Had to pop out the back seats to get to trunk. It still won't open. My inspection expired in November but I cant get rid of the CEL. I also have ABS and traction lights on on dash. Can anyone offer suggestions? Im thinking sensors. I read that the sensors could be unable to detect proper information causing these lights to come on.

·
Registered
753 Posts
If the emergency release in the trunk did not allow you to open it, I would guess it is mechanically locked. There are two hooks that lock the trunk as part of the reverse open maneuver. If they are engaged, you may be better off trying to get the trunk to reverse open in order to get inside. What happens when you push the roof open / close button in either direction? Do you hear the pump? Any other messages like "check cargo top"? To get into this and the transmission issue you might want to consider borrowing or purchasing an advanced scan tool that covers the folding top and transmission control modules.

For the transmission it could be a bad wire or switch. Again, the right scan tool will help you see what the transmission or PCM are getting as signals and might help narrow it down. There is a bit of a wiring diagram at this link although the full article is behind a pay wall

Diagnostic Information and Procedures - DTC P0705 (3.5L) - 2006 Pontiac G6 - G6 (VIN Z) Service Manual - RepairProcedures.com

Good luck getting them both fixed

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If the emergency release in the trunk did not allow you to open it, I would guess it is mechanically locked. There are two hooks that lock the trunk as part of the reverse open maneuver. If they are engaged, you may be better off trying to get the trunk to reverse open in order to get inside. What happens when you push the roof open / close button in either direction? Do you hear the pump? Any other messages like "check cargo top"? To get into this and the transmission issue you might want to consider borrowing or purchasing an advanced scan tool that covers the folding top and transmission control modules.

For the transmission it could be a bad wire or switch. Again, the right scan tool will help you see what the transmission or PCM are getting as signals and might help narrow it down. There is a bit of a wiring diagram at this link although the full article is behind a pay wall

Diagnostic Information and Procedures - DTC P0705 (3.5L) - 2006 Pontiac G6 - G6 (VIN Z) Service Manual - RepairProcedures.com

Good luck getting them both fixed
the top doesnt go down it never did. The emergency release works but I cant open the trunk with the button on the door. the message I get is "top not secure" but I never used the top. could the button itself be bad? I had a blanket in the trunk anad originally thought it may may have gotten stuck in a hinge but has been removed.

·
Registered
753 Posts
If you get "top not secure" when you press the button, that would suggest to me that the button is working. If the Folding Top Module does not see the proper conditions for it to believe the top is secure it will lock out the trunk release. Another test you could try is to disconnect / reconnect the battery followed by pressing the trunk release every second or so. There is a time window that the module will allow the trunk to release before it notices the top is not secure. Basically you need to troubleshoot and fix the "top not secure" issue to get the trunk operational (or that is my best guess at least).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanx, boomer. The "top not sevure" comes on once the key is engaged. I will research the FTM next. I tried the one second press with the battery disconnected to no avail. I will also start reading about top not secure. It seems the common fixes are disconnecting the battery and the repeated pushing of the the button so now I'll read further. Thank you!

·
Registered
753 Posts
The "top not secure" could be a faulty sensor or broken wire. Quite a few of us have noted cracked wiring round the hinge areas of the trunk. Buying or borrowing a scan tool that includes folding top module support would likely help troubleshoot if you cannot find anything obvious.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts